Does the univeser vibrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

Does the Universe vibrate?<br /><br />I just had a thought that if the gravity of one galaxy affects another then the conglamourate of galaxies known as our universe may be vibrating like ripples in a pond.<br /><br />Of course I'm speaking in total disregard for the universal background noise. <br /><br />I started this in the forces of nature section, link below:<br />http://uplink.space.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=forces_nature&Number=555245&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart= <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

N

nexius

I beleive that the universe actaully expands instead of vibrate. Their are theorys on this. I dont think this is touching on your gravitational pull idea of galaxies but more as in a whole.<br /><br />Big Crunch: Universe has a density greater than the critical density, then the collective gravity of all matter will cause it to stop and begin to contract. This is when it bounces back and has another "Big Bang"<br /><br />Critical Density: If the universe has the desinty of 4x10^-30 g/cm^3, then the universe will always keep expanding.<br /><br />Expanding Universe: If the universes desnity is less then critical density then it will expand forever. <br />a. Heat Death: As the universe keeps expanding the outer regions keep cooling off and run out of energy causing suns, galaxies to die.<br /><br />All of these came from the idea of Red Shifted Light were galaxies tend to be receding from us. <br /><br />I am not 100% sure of all this so back me up but I think I anwsered your question.

5stone10

Yes, at the most minute level - according to string theory.

D

derekmcd

The GEO 600 and LIGO oberservatories are looking for exactly what you speak of. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

H

holmec

WOW<br /><br />That's fantastic.<br />Its almost sureal too, like science fiction, but its science fact.<br /><br />The beginings of a new way to "see" the universe - "gravitational wave astronomy" as stated in that article. <br /><br />I bet eventually that will give us a dynamic picture farther than we can see with any kind of electro magnetic waves of the universe.<br /><br />That is defeninetly where no man has gone before. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

{I don't mean to be confrontational here}<br /><br />Does your response answer the question "Do the items in the universe vibrate?" rather than the question "Does the universe vibrate?" ?<br /><br /><br />{It's a subtle, but profound difference}<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

K

kyle_baron

<i><br />Does the Universe vibrate? </i><br /><br />Yep. The so called BB space vibrates, because it contains energy fields, that contain virtual particles. See Casimir Effect:<br /><br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect<br /><br />In otherwords, if empty space within the BB can move two metal plates together, that space must be vibrating!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

K

kyle_baron

<i><br />.. so the universe vibrates and expands?</i><br /><br />It would seem so. It (BB space) vibrates on the smallest scale (microscopic), and expands on the largest scale(astronomic). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

D

dannyd

Is it somehow possible that what we experience as the physical universe is but "nothingness" set to vibrating so subtly (or intensely) that it seems to come into being or possess a physical reality that is available to our senses?<br />-dannyd

K

kyle_baron

<i><br />Is it somehow possible that what we experience as the physical universe is but "nothingness" set to vibrating so subtly (or intensely) that it seems to come into being or possess a physical reality that is available to our senses? <br />-dannyd </i><br /><br />Wow, that's quite philosophical. That statement reminds me of a previous post I made, concerning our physical reality as an illusion, where the inner space would be the underlying reality. Brian Greene would most likely agree with your statement. He believes our physical reality is a type of hologram that is reflected from a dimensionless space and time. In otherwords, the "nothingness" would be the projector for our physical reality. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

H

holmec

>{I don't mean to be confrontational here}<br /><br />Does your response answer the question "Do the items in the universe vibrate?" rather than the question "Does the universe vibrate?" ?<br /><br /><br />{It's a subtle, but profound difference}<br /><br /><<br /><br />Yeah....I meant in a measurable sort of way, as in the universe as a whole. Yes, string theory (expanded to M theory) does say all things vibrate. Sure we can see this in our own visible world. I just wanted to see if indeed we can put a "stethescope" to the universe and listen in. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

H

holmec

><br />Im confused.. so the universe vibrates and expands? <<br /><br />Don't be too confused. Every object you tough has a natural resonance, that is it vibrates. If the Universe did not vibrate that would be an inconsistancy. If you think about communication waves, you see you can have a carrier wave and another wave riding on the carrier wave and the result is a wierd looking wave. Though it looks like one thing, really there are two waves involved. Expanding and vibrating makes sense because they are two different things that happen to the universe. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts