Dyson Sphere thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
To keep our Mercury issue on topic, can we take Mercury as a possible location for mining - the energy possibly (??) being supplied by a Dyson sphere. Of course, if this is not possible, alternate energy must be provided.

Cat :)

Mar 22, 2021
So, actually, the human civilization must first get the maximum out of his current possible sources.And find the better way to travel between planets, than rockets.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Mar 22, 2021
Because the building of Dyson Swarm can get frozen during the process, as the home planet builds it's new rockets and stuff. The rockets are too much expencive and energy-consuming. Also, probably the building might be distant operating, like the series of satellites from Mercury to Earth.

Feb 23, 2020
I remember that having an operating Dyson swarm is one of the benchmarks of civilization.

I do wonder though how to bus the electricity about. Carrying batteries- it really doesn't seem ideal some

In another thread we were discussing using a laser to send electricity through space, I found that a pretty startling thought

Feb 23, 2020
yeah both the laser and light collector would have significant ineffeciencies.

I was thinking of trying it myself, using a torch laser and a solar panel to see how many watts it makes- I'm curious

then set them both apart and see how much it drops after 20 feet

are you favourable to batteries in our theoretical posture?
-for I wonder how else, I guess it's a line with pretty large difficulty

I remember that having an operating Dyson swarm is one of the benchmarks of civilization.

I do wonder though how to bus the electricity about. Carrying batteries- it really doesn't seem ideal some

In another thread we were discussing using a laser to send electricity through space, I found that a pretty startling thought
This is one of my major points. If you collect on Merciry's hot phase you may burn your insulation on conducting wires. Of course, since this is an impossiblr scenario (Dyson), we can transmit power diredtly by EM radiation.

Cat :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts