Earth gov keeping secrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lewislink2

I watched Space: Above & Beyond and it got me to thinking about how the whole messy war between the two species could have been averted. Corporations which control global resources care only about making the maximum amount of revenue at the lowest cost. That's what took place in this Sci-Fi show, a corporation deliberately kept knowledge of the existence and habitation of an alien sentient race because to allow the populous to know...be informed...would have caused revenue shortfalls. This being the case because the populous being informed would seek peaceful relations and alter colonization plans against the wishes of those doing the planning.

So I figure, unless the alien race is wanting war, what could the aliens have done to get past the corporate secrecy of their existence and let Earth know there was a problem that needed addressing before hostilities commenced. The corps would do anything and everything they could to keep the situation secret. So any attempt for the alien race to make an ambassadorial voyage to Earth would likely be thwarted by public disinformation...probably something along the lines of exclaiming the aliens are here to destroy us, and then give official looking proof of it. Or in a more likely scenario, confront and ward the aliens off before they can be detected by Earth media.

So, in the case of the show plot, there is a possible alternative. Instead of the aliens wiping out the unknowing colonists, make contact with them and see if they had knowledge of their existence and habitation of the worlds the colonists were settling. The aliens would have discovered the evil was with only a handful of Earthlings and would have likely been able to get the knowledge of their existence and wishes known to all of humanity through the colonists.

If such a scenario were to ever become real-life, I see ourselves needing to do this very thing, because evil, I believe, wouldn't be limited to humans. Other sentient beings in the universe would likely follow similar traits as ours. We would need to go around the few evil ones, thwarting them, and make contact with the whole race.

J

jim48

Welcome to SDC! As the only real, genuine, bonafide, honest-to-God scientist out here, I have to say what the friggin' hell are you talking about?!! :?

L

lewislink2

jim48":25vinlet said:
Welcome to SDC! As the only real, genuine, bonafide, honest-to-God scientist out here, I have to say what the friggin' hell are you talking about?!! :?
Hey, thanks so much for the welcome! :)

Let me pose my comment another way. Here, this might make better sense. If it doesn't I'll try again an additional way:

I watched Space: Above & Beyond and it got me to thinking about how the whole messy war between the two species could have been averted. Corporations which control global resources care only about making the maximum amount of revenue at the lowest cost. That's what took place in this Sci-Fi show, a corporation deliberately kept knowledge of the existence and habitation of an alien sentient race because to allow the populous to know...be informed...would have caused revenue shortfalls. This being the case because the populous being informed would seek peaceful relations and alter colonization plans against the wishes of those doing the planning.

So I figure, unless the alien race is wanting war, what could the aliens have done to get past the corporate secrecy of their existence and let Earth know there was a problem that needed addressing before hostilities commenced. The corps would do anything and everything they could to keep the situation secret. So any attempt for the alien race to make an ambassadorial voyage to Earth would likely be thwarted by public disinformation...probably something along the lines of exclaiming the aliens are here to destroy us, and then give official looking proof of it. Or in a more likely scenario, confront and ward the aliens off before they can be detected by Earth media.

So, in the case of the show plot, there is a possible alternative. Instead of the aliens wiping out the unknowing colonists, make contact with them and see if they had knowledge of their existence and habitation of the worlds the colonists were settling. The aliens would have discovered the evil was with only a handful of Earthlings and would have likely been able to get the knowledge of their existence and wishes known to all of humanity through the colonists.

If such a scenario were to ever become real-life, I see ourselves needing to do this very thing, because evil, I believe, wouldn't be limited to humans. Other sentient beings in the universe would likely follow similar traits as ours. We would need to go around the few evil ones, thwarting them, and make contact with the whole race.

T

thebigcat

Space Above and Beyond, eh? You do know they write shows like that with governments which are somewhat more two-dimensional than real ones because it makes for good (in their opinion) story background. Above and Beyond BS was more apt of a title since among other flaws they had highly trained combat pilots taking part in infantry operations, something no real Marine Corps would ever do, and ranks almost up there with Captain Kirk and Commander Spock beaming down to every dangerous planet in the galaxy every single week in the Boneheaded Writing wing of the Science Fiction Hall Of Shame.

L

lewislink2

thebigcat":3deicbs6 said:
Space Above and Beyond, eh? You do know they write shows like that with governments which are somewhat more two-dimensional than real ones because it makes for good (in their opinion) story background. Above and Beyond BS was more apt of a title since among other flaws they had highly trained combat pilots taking part in infantry operations, something no real Marine Corps would ever do, and ranks almost up there with Captain Kirk and Commander Spock beaming down to every dangerous planet in the galaxy every single week in the Boneheaded Writing wing of the Science Fiction Hall Of Shame.
It was a great but cheesy show. The point of my post was merely pondering how Earth would handle an actual real-life situation like that of S:A&B. It is so miserably and painfully clear how big business and govs conduct business. Lying and secrecy, not to enemies but to their own citizens, is the standard. Our lives are only a commodity. Government would condemn the world to complete chaos and disaster for no other reason than it was good for it. There's a term they use when they don't want to explain their reasons: "National Security". A gov may deem that 3000 citizens need to die so the particular nation may be better off.

Anyway, an alien race may well need to consider that minimal contact with us...like a handful of "Earth representatives"...would not provide an official view of the will of the whole Earth because those handful of representative may well be the only Earthlings knowing about their existence or will.

E

Eman_3

Ahh, the old "evil corporation" story again. I don't know how many movies and shows featuring that theme I have seen. It's a shame that there is a severe lack of imagination in screenwriters.

First off, which evil corporation are we talking about? Coca Cola, Dow, or Kellogg, Brown and Root? Second, don't you think that contact with a non-Earth civilization could be kept quiet? There are other nations and people outside the USA, and they might be listening, and acting on their own initiative.

L

lewislink2

Eman_3":22id3hfq said:
Ahh, the old "evil corporation" story again. I don't know how many movies and shows featuring that theme I have seen. It's a shame that there is a severe lack of imagination in screenwriters.

First off, which evil corporation are we talking about? Coca Cola, Dow, or Kellogg, Brown and Root? Second, don't you think that contact with a non-Earth civilization could be kept quiet? There are other nations and people outside the USA, and they might be listening, and acting on their own initiative.
If contact were achieved by means of signals monitored here on Earth, it is unlikely the Earth would be in the dark. But the scenario presented in the Sci-Fi show achieved contact through interstellar satellites. A satellite was sent to the Chig's birthing moon and was destroyed after warning the source of the satellite not to attempt any further contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts