Earth may have been born wet

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
" Researchers analyzed 13 different enstatite chondrite (EC) meteorites, a class known to be similar to the space rocks that coalesced to form Earth more than 4.5 billion years ago. "

Are they suggesting Earth was mostly derived from enstatite chondrites?

If not, are they analysing other meteorites thought to be involved?

If Earth was hot then, why did this early water not evaporate/

Am I missing something?

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
" Researchers analyzed 13 different enstatite chondrite (EC) meteorites, a class known to be similar to the space rocks that coalesced to form Earth more than 4.5 billion years ago. "

Are they suggesting Earth was mostly derived from enstatite chondrites?

If not, are they analysing other meteorites thought to be involved?

If Earth was hot then, why did this early water not evaporate/

Am I missing something?

"The team's calculations suggest that the rocks that formed Earth harbored at least three times as much water as the planet's present-day oceans hold. "

Sounds like most of it did evaporate.

I note the space.com report says "Big questions remain about the timing of Earth's water uptake, Peslier noted, so it's unclear if most of the water sloshing in our seas does indeed go all the way back. For example, if most of Earth's native water was incorporated very early on, it may have been boiled away by long-ago asteroid bombardments and/or the formation of magma oceans. (In that case, the asteroid-vs.-comet debate would be very much viable.)"

There is also this report out too, THE ORIGIN OF EARTH’S WATER, https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/the-origin-of-earths-water/

[The enstatite meteorites found on Earth are the only samples we have of the primordial enstatite chondrites that formed near the sun. If those objects formed most of the building blocks of Earth, they easily could have provided most terrestrial water, says Piani. Her group proposes enstatite chondrites supplied all the water in the mantle and 95% of that in the oceans, with the rest coming from wet asteroids.]

My observation. How the giant impact model for the origin of the Moon plays a role here I did not see. Much of the proto-earth atmosphere could be stripped and also magma oceans formed. There is also the late date now for the giant impact, 4.45 billion years ago.

Latest posts