Earth return of cargo

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krisci3

Once the shuttle is retired, how will NASA be able to return cargo or damaged equipment from the ISS? I don't think a standard size express rack will fit in Orion.

B

bushuser

Looks like broken equipment will return on a molten Progress booster. <br />I wonder if the new, disposable cargo modules attach where an MPLM does now, with its large door, or if they'll dock like a Progress, with a smaller docking hatch. That would affect the size and shape of what you can bring inside the ISS.

P

PistolPete

Both the SpaceX Dragon and RpK K-1 have the larger daimeter hatches like the ones that connect the MPLMs to Node 1 (I can't remember the precise nominclature at the moment). This is the whole reason for the COTS program. The CEV has the smaller diameter hatches like on the Soyuz and Space Shuttle. Therefore the CEV can't resupply the ISS. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.