Element #118

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vastbluesky92

In the newest issue of Discovery, discovering element #118 was one of the 100 science achievements of the year, however I have a Periodic Table of Elements from 1999 that lists element 118 (ununoctium) as the last element, and even has information such as atomic weight and electrons in each orbit. What am I missing? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>--____________________________________________--</p><p><font size="1"> Don't be too hard on me...I'm only in PHY 1010 ;)</font></p><p> </p><p><font color="#339966">         The following goes without saying:</font> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

This really doesn't belong in Space Science and Astronomy, although I can't find a better forum from the ten word descriptions.<br />I believe the previous element 118 has not been independently confirmed, so the claim may have been withdrawn.<br />What is the source of your 1999 Periodic table? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

Electron structure and atomic number can be predicted from nuclear physics. Atomic weight can be similarly approximated.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Element 118 is a small grouping of as-yet unseen elements past the end of our "known" Periodic Table, that don't instantly decay (it's all relative, mind you) - part of what's known as an "Island of Stability." All artificial elements that are not seen in nature.<br /><br />FYI, I heard that this was recently successfully produced in an accelerator, and lasted a fraction of a second before decaying. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts