Europe's bold 'Explore 2040' campaign aims to get astronauts to the moon and Mars

Europe intends to use non-reusable Ariane 6 to support the Gateway plus their Moon and Mars aspirations. At the same time, we have reusable rockets they could be taking advantage of. I don't think this plan is going to work.

Jan 28, 2023
Visit site
The EU definitely needs a modern and large heavy-duty rocket-space system for taking out big spaceships, it will be a plus if it is reusable. I don't think the EU is capable of creating one by 2040. Maybe by 2050?

I will suggest an alternative methodology.

They launch to Vesta [thx billslugg] pick up water ice for rocket fuel.

They could even package & slow launch a load of ice back to Earth.

They take their water ice back to Mars and are solar processing it to H & O on the way.

They leave their rocket fuel in equitorial orbit around Mars with their return lift-off skyhook assembly,
& explore pretty much anywhere they want on equitorial Mars. They could explore one place then lift-off and drop and lower down to the next place as long as their fuel holds out.

They could leave the skyhook assembly in stable equitorial orbit around Mars for the next astronaut crew to use.

Earth will now have an orbiting fuel for its own beefier skyhook assembly for cheaper easier safer lift-off tech here.

Let's do this people.

The only real technical hurdle is a 70 mile cable hanging from the fueled rocket frame assembly.