Eye Piece for Planitary Observation - Suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bbrock

I have focused on deep sky objects. Mostly because the large planets have been taking a vacation in the deep south. This winter I would like to study Saturn, Mars and Jupiter more closely. <br /><br />Using a 10" Dob, I would like to go a little higher in power using filters. I was thingking of going up to around 400x. I can purchased wide field EP's or EP's around 45 to 52 deg field of view. My thought is that a wide field EP would give me more time to keep the target in the field of view. However, will this darken the image? <br /><br />I'm sure some of you have done this a multitude of times. If you were me, what would you suggest? Which filters are best for this purpose? ( 1.25" )<br /><br />Thanks<br />Bill

B

bbrock

crazy<br /><br />Excellent points. I have been using up to 320x on double stars, and have been trying to weigh the consequences of hand tracking @ 400x which led to the idea of a wider field of view. I suppose the feeling is, if this is the best we can do, then perhaps something, or a little is better then nothing or none. I appreciate your input. I guess that is the point of using these message boards. <br /><br />Much Thanks<br />Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts