FAA to conduct new environmental review for SpaceX's Starship operations in Florida

May 10, 2024
Visit site
Starship grows on you. 🙀

Which organisation? SpaceX is private and works for itself, FAA is federal and works for the state. This isn't Russia (say).
So you think that preventing Ilan Musk from testing a new rocket by delaying time in every possible way and arranging new investigations into test flights is the state’s idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2024
Visit site
I believe (maybe I’m wrong?) that it is necessary to give the green light to Starship, making its testing the number 1 government priority in space technology, and not put a spoke in SpaceX’s wheels by coming up with new investigations and putting forward new conditions. Otherwise, analogs of Starship will start flying in Roscosmos and China, and the FAA will come up with everything to prevent SpaceX from testing a new rocket configuration :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
FAA compliance is not a biased process. Having worked with them for many years, regardless of how some spin things in the press, they have no political agenda at the compliance level.

It is a standards based approach and SpaceX knows the rules and they meet them or not.

Reactions: Ken Fabian
I think the issue that could delay SpaceX in Florida would be some private entity's lawsuit that alleges that the "EPA''s" (really more SpaceX's) environmental review is "inadequate" and seeks an injunction against site preparations or launch activities or recovery activities proceeding before the issue is "settled in court". That has been a common legalistic tactic for people who want to obstruct something. But, the law does require that the study be done.

Reactions: COLGeek