Fake solar eclipse glasses are everywhere ahead of the total solar eclipse. Here's how to check yours are safe

Good advise. Faulty glasses could easily be a problem.

I did find the ISO standards: here

The Maximum visible range in the ISO standard is 99.9968% (0.0032%). So I will assume the advertised 99.99% is likely adequate given their limited use, and of a diminished Sun thanks to the Moons blockage. :)

A couple of comments:
- Is it possible to go any lower than make a few bucks off making someone blind?
- I just read a caution not to use anything but commercially supplied eclipse glasses that post an ISO endorsement. I guess that goes out the window.
- The same post warned against the use of telescope quality solar filters. What's up with that?
- Now that we have a "test", can we start using our #14 or darker welding glass?

I use to used welding glass. I heard that the eyes can heal from the visible damage, but the UV was the danger. So UV protection is a must. But that's just what I hear.

And I had to have cataracts removed twice. So much for what I hear.

Now days I would use a projection. It's easier for for me to observe down instead of up.

A couple of comments:
- Is it possible to go any lower than make a few bucks off making someone blind?
Well, the ineffective fake ones would likely block enough sunlight so that the user would quickly see that the Sun is too stinking bright, thus not use them.

The problem is that there are cases where people are so bound and determined to see the eclipse just before or after totality that they ignore the pain signals for a fraction too long. There, no doubt, will be reports of people, once again, that end up in the ER due to eye problems.
- I just read a caution not to use anything but commercially supplied eclipse glasses that post an ISO endorsement. I guess that goes out the window.
Right, the best lies don't look like lies so throw the letters ISO on them.
- The same post warned against the use of telescope quality solar filters. What's up with that?
I must have missed that.

I use to used welding glass. I heard that the eyes can heal from the visible damage, but the UV was the danger. So UV protection is a must. But that's just what I hear.
It's my understanding that retina damage is often permanent.

The UV is the worst but even IR can damage the retina. The ISO for IR is a minimum of 97% blockage, thus far more tolerant. For very short periods, I would assume this isn't a big issue. I've looked at a setting Sun on a dusty day where it appeared orange due to extra atmospheric scattering. It was easy on the eyes. But, for enjoyment and better protection when the Sun is dim, I will sometimes use binoculars. [Warning... don't use binoculars on the Sun when it's remotely bright, or anything bright for that matter without proper filters. ]

Why binoculars? Even when a setting Sun, on rare occasions, is dim enough to be comfortable looking at it, people forget or are unaware that most of the IR is not blocked by our atmosphere. NASA has a warning about this, though they don't mention using binoculars. *cough* Glass, as in binoculars, reduce the IR problem. Also, binoculars and telescopes never, due to optical laws, increase the surface brightness of an object. The total brightness increases, which is spread out more over your retina (magnification). Of course, the change in the focal plane when adjusting the binoculars would be an issue, but unlikely a problem as long as the Sun is easy on the eyes, meaning a brightness less than a full moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Classical Motion
Yes, UV, infrared and visible must all be attenuated. You might have a bad filter, one that attenuates visible to a comfortable level but passes damaging UV and infrared, which might not trigger the pain reflex. I used stacked B&W negatives at age 10, in St Croix, VI on a partial eclipse July 23, 1963 for many hours and never had any damage I ever became aware of. I have observed the Sun for many hours since then with 30x100 binoculars equipped with solar filters. I have used #14 welding glass as well. I am age 71, never had cataracts.

Latest posts