Feedback on my Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Strax

I have a theory about Rips in space. I need feedback on it.

The common Theory is that a rip in space is filled with Antimatter, which i believe could be true, because even if it is "Anti"matter, it is a matter of some sort. However my Theory expands on it, going as far as to say that Matter itself is a rip in space, because a "rip" is a hole of some sort. A hole is the absence of a type of matter. such as a Hole in the earth is a lack of the earth. So a Hole in space is a lack of space. therefore if you fill it with any type of matter you are making a hole in the "matter" of space. Feedback on this Theory?

S

Strax

unfortunately i cannot, for i didn't read it, i have been told by many many people though. i really wish i knew where they got their information though so i could read up on it more

R

ramparts

theridane":jwr3im6i said:
Strax":jwr3im6i said:
The common Theory is that a rip in space is filled with Antimatter

Could you provide a citation?

You should find new friends - or at least not learn science from your old ones ;) This sounds like no common science theory out there. To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what you mean by a rip in space, although if there's a place where there's actually no space, then by definition there can't be any matter (or anti-matter) there, either.

S

Strax

one of my friends is actually my brother, who studies this stuff all the time. but that is besides the point. I believe most people get that theory from science fiction unfortunately. but they believe that a rip in space will destroy the universe by ripping it apart. However your saying that a rip in space would hold nothing, which is a physical impossibility, for if a rip has nothing keeping it open then it will close itself. It has to be filled with a matter of some sort, which I say again, it just have to be a lack of "space" which the earth can count as such.

K

kelvinzero

a rip in space will destroy the universe by ripping it apart

Sounds like they might have been telling you about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip

I don't know where the antimatter reference comes from though. If you can find any more information about that we might be able to dig up a reference for you.

However there was a news item just recently saying that we had discovered something a bit asymmetrical between matter and antimatter: matter was more likely to form, and this can explain why the universe did not simply annihilate into nothing but energy. It would seem natural to me that once we figure out what this difference is, that there is some place in the universe or some other universe where antimatter is more common. Or maybe not.

As for what is a physical impossibility, our usual common sense just doesnt work. These guys are discussing things on cosmological scales way outside our usual experience.

S

Strax

I believe that is what they are talking about. My friends say that the Rip would destroy Time Space, which led them to, its filled with Antimatter. However, what i am saying is that yes it could be filled with Antimatter, but a rip in space could also be the earth, or the sun because we are technically splitting space. we are a rip in space.

R

ramparts

Ah. The so-called Big Rip isn't really a rip in spacetime, nor anything that would destroy it, but rather a very rapid expansion of spacetime which would serve to rip atoms and the like apart.

That said, this would require a dark energy equation of state which is almost ruled out by experiment. Looks like we don't have much to worry about :)

Fun fact: I was talking about the original "big rip" paper this summer with one of its authors. He mentioned that this was evidence for an inverse relationship between time spent on a paper and interest the paper generates - of all his papers, most of which took a while to get through, this one, which was the result of an afternoon of blackboard scribbling, got the most attention :lol:

S

Strax

ah alright.

and on a random tangent. Time is relevant. so if i believe it is 1000 bce, it is therefore you cannot have a rip in time XD just saying

B

BoJangles2

Strax":yrp83x1w said:

The common Theory is that a rip in space is filled with Antimatter, which i believe could be true, because even if it is "Anti"matter, it is a matter of some sort. However my Theory expands on it, going as far as to say that Matter itself is a rip in space, because a "rip" is a hole of some sort. A hole is the absence of a type of matter. such as a Hole in the earth is a lack of the earth. So a Hole in space is a lack of space. therefore if you fill it with any type of matter you are making a hole in the "matter" of space. Feedback on this Theory?

I think you have been watching a bit too much doctor who

O

origin

Strax":2npzho0q said:
ah alright.

and on a random tangent. Time is relevant. so if i believe it is 1000 bce, it is therefore you cannot have a rip in time XD just saying

If you believe it is then you are delusional it is only 1000 BCE in your mind.

S

Strax

bojangles- although i have watched that show quite a lot, that's not what sparked this theory. a friend of mine asked me how a rip in space time is possible.

origin- ah but time is relative. you see, because it is a man made thing, we have total control over it, but we all have agreed on a certain time and date. but if you believe it is really a different year then it is. the best example of this, is that the Jewish Calender (according to my old World History teacher) is up into the 5000's by now for years. Also, this could mean that the "2012" that the Aztecs are talking about, that we are all freaking out about, could simply have been their 2012th year when people decided to come and kill them. Time is relevant to each specific person. That's why no two people have the same internal clock.

M

MeteorWayne

No, time is not man made, it is a feature of the Universe.
The labels given to intervals are man made, but the existance of time itself is not.

This thread seems destined to not last long in Physics....

S

Strax

well lets go back to the original topic then, however i have gotten some feedback,

M

MeteorWayne

As has been pointed out, your original topic makes no sense. You need to strengthen your science background a little :)

F

Floridian

Strax":10ir9d46 said:

Space-time is a fabric of which matter exists on. Gravity is an effect that carries across space time. We exist inside time and inside space, both of which are effected by gravity. Seemingly indicating that we are not holes in space-time but exist on it.

S

Strax

floridian- what you are saying is that a rip in space-time is impossible then? because anything that could "create" such a rip actually only exists on space-time, and not in it?

M

Mordred

How would one even define a rip in space-time?
Would we define it as a region where the space-time has reached infinite time or where time has essentailly stopped?
Or do we define it as a region where all matter converts to energy?
I understand no rips have ever been discovered but what would the accepted definition of a rip in space-time be?
I recognize that rips have been theorized so there must be some accepted definition out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts