Finally got to use my new Skyquest XT6 tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whittier97370

Viewed Saturn for the first time. It was amazing! I had never seen Saturn's rings except in pictures. I also looked at Sirius, Betelguese and Mars. I was a little disappointed with Mars. Is this a bad viewing time for Mars? I was kind of hoping to be able to see the polar ice caps but all I saw was an orange ball. The scope only came with the 10 and 25 mm eyepieces. The 10 takes it out to 120x. Would a good 2x barlow lens be a useful purchase? If so what does everyone recommend?

T

tfwthom

Personally I don't like Mars, never have been impressed with it even in a 28" scope. Saturn and Jupiter are nice, and the ones I like to watch.<br /><br />Grab this program, on Jupiter. JupSat95 Calculates and displays the positions of Jupiter's four main (Galilean) moons, Calculates and displays the Great Red Spot Transit times, etc <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

R

rybanis

I would also recommend subscribing to Sky and Telescope or some magazine like it. Theres a ton of useful information out there. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.