Fire breaks out at Vehicle Assembly Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erauskydiver

http://www.floridatoday.com/topstories/120204fire.htm<br /><br />Complete FLORIDA TODAY coverage delivered to your door. Subscribe now. <br /> Email this page to a friend. <br /><br />Dec. 2, 2004<br /><br />Fire breaks out at Vehicle Assembly Building<br /><br />By Todd Halvorson<br />Staff report/FLORIDA TODAY<br /><br />CAPE CANAVERAL - A fire erupted this afternoon inside the Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building, where the first of two solid rocket boosters are being assembled for the return to flight of the space shuttles next year.<br /><br />A small cloud of black smoke billowed out of the north side of the building about 1 p.m. today, forcing all personnel to be evacuated from 52-story building.<br /><br />NASA officials could not say how many people were evacuated. No one was injured and no space flight hardware was damaged.<br /><br />One of the two solid rocket boosters that will help power Discovery on its first-post Columbia flight is being installed on its mobile launch platform inside the massive building. NASA officials said none of the shuttle components were damaged by the small fire.<br /><br />KSC fire and rescue teams quickly responded to the scene. The fire was extinguished shortly after it started.<br /><br />The cause is under investigation. More information is expected from Kennedy Space Center officials later today.<br /><br />Anybody know what happend??

G

grooble

I bet this will push the shuttle launch back another couple of months

E

earth_bound_misfit

I'm pleased to hear that SG.<br />I really do miss watching STS chasing ISS over my head.<br /> Hopefully nothing will upset this and fingers crossed downunder all goes well! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

G

grooble

I never had any interest in shuttle launches until after columbia blew up in '03. In fact my interest in space exploration really took off around then, it drew my attention to it.<br /><br />I'll definatly be watching the '05 launch and wishing it well. It's the final stretch for the shuttle, when the ISS is finished we can all look back and say "she did good".<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts