Fun little Quiz...

Here's just a few tidbit questions that you may enjoy. This isn't an IQ test so just take a crack at it without the use of Google.

Please just respond by giving the question number followed by the letter of your answer. Such as 1b.

Also, before giving your reason for your selection, you may want to want till Monday to see my take on the answers. If this is done, I will see who will be first to get them all right (IMO :) ).

[Added. It's Werner Von Braun, btw, not Van Braun]

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
1) b
2) a
3)e
4)no
5)d
6)b
I am an undergraduate but am older and have studied on my own....i will be looking for help soon, classes start in June.

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
The Eddington ? I thought he was at the other spot when he proved it....i can't remember without checking so I will wait till Monday...

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Here are my answers, Helio.

1) b.
2) e.
3) e.
4) a.
5) d. (This one is a guess :) )
6) b. (This too)

Waiting for answers.
Helio, "Please just respond by giving the question number followed by the letter of your answer. Such as 1b."

Yes, but I can't see where to enter them.

Cat :)
Cat, I guess, you can just reply in this thread.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Thanks for those who have taken the challenge. I should probably wait till Monday noon or so to give my answer. [One of those questions includes an exceptionally tough curve ball that might stir some debate, so I may accept an alternative answer. :) But my goal is entertain everyone with a little fact and history.]

1) d.... A Full Moon is ~12x a Quarter Moon. Light reflects greater at 180 deg. Also there are no shadows for a Full Moon.

2) e.... Snow and clouds reflects sunlight evenly. A pinhole projection of a noon Sun also reveals its true color. My avatar is an actual photo of a large solar projection from Kitt Peak‘s solar obs. * cough* :)

3) f.... Hubble intentionally avoided the theory aspects that came from redshifts. Early GR models explained redshift w/o expansion. Lemaitre first calculated expansion from Slipher’s redshifts. Hubble was the one who eliminated the debate about ”island universes” , but he continued to call them extragalactic nebulae.

4) b.... Either answer can be argued, actually. But I favor the view that the sister team in Brazil (Dyson’s team) produced the better plates to affirm Einstein’s calculation.

5) d.... IIRC, 900 launches were his estimate.

6) a.... Elon! :)

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
I want to be honest, I only got one of them even if I responded three of them (I got the second).
Anyway, instead of all the questions, the first is the most subjective...
1) d.... A Full Moon is ~12x a Quarter Moon. Light reflects greater at 180 deg. Also there are no shadows for a Full Moon.
This is the correct answer, no doubt on that, anyway, I think even A is "acceptable" since the amount of light emitted by Moon is always the same, we on Earth are able to se less light than normal (full Moon). This is my own point of view, what do you think?

Let me try to answer:
1.d
2. e
3.a
4.a
5. d
6. a (Interest in this novel increased in 2021 when people connected Elon, the Martian leader, to business magnate, Elon Musk suggesting that von Braun may have predicted Musk's space exploration ventures. )
Great effort! Only #3 is a miss — perhaps #4 as well, but my view is too pedantic on this one. [see post #14]

Of course, I completely agree that someone can give examples why he answered a or b - there are a lot of theories, but still we are playing and I liked this game. It made me think over possible answers and remember what I've read and heard before. I would love to participate in more quizes like that :)

Of course, I completely agree that someone can give examples why he answered a or b - there are a lot of theories, but still we are playing and I liked this game. It made me think over possible answers and remember what I've read and heard before. I would love to participate in more quizes like that :)
Thanks! Your encouragement for more quizzes will likely be rewarded. :)

There are so many non-intuitive facts, and ironies, within astronomy that it’s fun to put them forward as thought-provoking questions.

My specialty has been to provide demonstrable evidence for a white-only Sun.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Thanks! Your encouragement for more quizzes will likely be rewarded. :)

There are so many non-intuitive facts, and ironies, within astronomy that it’s fun to put them forward as thought-provoking questions.

My specialty has been to provide demonstrable evidence for a white-only Sun.

Helio, " it’s fun to put them forward as thought-provoking questions."
Could not agree more. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

Cat :)

Latest posts