Go Bigelow Aerospace !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MannyPim

One of the most exciting developments in space commercialization and one which I feel will become the leading enterprise to open up space for the rest of us all.<br /><br />Congratulations to Robert Bigelow and his team on ANOTHER great step forward with the successful launch of Genesis II.<br /><br />Onwards and Upwards !!<br /><br />Link: http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/multiverse/news.php <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>The only way to know what is possible is to attempt the impossible.</em></font> </div>

N

nuaetius

It's so nice after all these years of DC-X, the original Orion Project, Venture-star, and all these other big empty promises to actually see someone deliver. In the last 5 years we have gained 2 private space stations (scale models only) a private manufacture space plane (suboribital only) and a non-government funded discount launcher (8/10ths the way to orbit). It's so nice to see flying prototype hardware instead of just pretty Sci-fi dreams. Many thanks to Bigelow, Rutan, and Musk for delivering on promises and being equal parts business men and Engineers. I think Edison would be proud of them.

M

MannyPim

I have had the privilege of meeting all three of them and I made sure I let them know how much we all appreciate what they are doing.<br /><br />Becoming a Space Faring Civilization is what the entire world should be focused on. These guys are showing us the way. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>The only way to know what is possible is to attempt the impossible.</em></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Absolutely.<br />Finally, something real is happening.<br /><br />Yes the first steps are small and slow, but progress is being made.<br /><br />It should be interesting to look back in 5 years and recall these early efforts. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

nuaetius

The good thing about all three of these people is that if any of them fail the tech they have developed will definitely get used. If SpaceX, Scaled Composites, or Bigelow falls apart I am sure a larger company like Boeing or LM will grab up their patents as fast as possible and sale their products. Imagine if ULA used their industrial might to build Falcon 9 and 1 rockets, or if they used the SpacX’s instrumentation to allow the Atlas and Titan rockets to launch with drastically less ground crew… No matter what these companies have opened Pandora’s Box and it’s time for Aerospace to play with the demons.

N

no_way

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Imagine if ULA used their industrial might to build Falcon 9 and 1 rockets<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I think this would get you back to square zero, as their industrial might does not operate very cheaply.<br />OK, Falcons are designed from ground up to be cheap to produce and cheap to operate with lean crew requirements and little overhead. Im suspecting big organization like ULA would quickly come up with hundreds of inspection procedures and thousands of checklists to complete, accompanied by countless review meetings that would in turn push the costs high again.<br /><br />

J

jimfromnsf

There is nothing special about F1 & F9 that would make them desireable to other contractors. There is no "special" intrumentation. They haven't proven that they can launch "quickly" with a paying and expensive payload<br /><br />Also they first have to work successfully too

Q

quantump7

That guy is seriously my hero. It always takes a visionary (with LOTS of money) to make things happen.

M

MannyPim

Wow... a lot of new people here.<br /><br />Welcome to SDC everyone.<br />What do you guys think of SDC so far ?<br /><br />I got a chance to tour the Bigelow facility last year. Just a few days after Genesis 1 achieved orbit. Mr. Bigelow himself was the tour guide and we even went into thee Control Room.<br />It is quite an impressive operation. If there is anyone who can do it. Robert Bigelow is the man to do it.<br /><br />It won't be long now until we are on the Moon.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>The only way to know what is possible is to attempt the impossible.</em></font> </div>

S

spacelifejunkie

"It won't be long now until we are on the Moon."<br /><br />MannyPim, you couldn't be more right. Often to the criticism of others I believe that SpaceX and Bigelow will partner a moon shot before NASA or anyone else can get there. These two will have built the world's most sophisiticated aerospace companies the world has ever known a decade after their inception. All from scratch in a business and legal environment that has more hurdles than ever to cross. History will regard Bigelow and Musk as visionaries on par with names like Wright, Goddard, and Von Braun. We aren't there yet and there are still many hurdles to cross but every day that goes by is getting us closer to the dreams that these men are putting in place.<br /><br /><br />SLJ

M

MannyPim

I hope we are both right.<br /><br />But what Bigelow and Musk are doing is not only about being pioneers and developing technology. One of the factors that will transform our relationship to space will be the shift in perception that Bigelow and Musk will cause and that will affect how very person sees the Moon and sees space.<br /><br />And let's not forget that Bigelow, Musk, and Rutan may be the most visible entities out there. <br />But every single day there are litterally DOZENS of new companies pushing outward and making really incredible advances. <br /><br />One example I like to use is JP Aerospace. They are working on a technology called Airship TO Orbit (ATO).<br />When they get properly funded, I believe they are quite capable of reaching the holy grail of space faring: Cheap and realiable access to LEO. That is the ONE hurdle we must overcome.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>The only way to know what is possible is to attempt the impossible.</em></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts