Question Had the Universe started to expand at time zero?

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
We know that the universe was created by a Big Bang. And, time and space also started when the Big Bang occurred (I don't know about space, but I'm sure about time). So, if the universe started with a bang and time started along with it, does that mean that the speed of the expansion of the Universe at time zero is infinite? And, had the Universe started to expand at time zero?
180605-big-bang-illustration-al-1141_c426a54e8d4f6d67f0b33d1abb671d40.jpg

Reactions: Catastrophe
We know that the universe was created by a Big Bang.
This is a common misconception of BBT. If we shrink the universe as far as physics can handle the load, we get down to a size smaller than an atom. Smaller than, say, something smaller than an electron, however, physicists say their model's wheels go flying off the wagon; their results shoot off to infinity and that's not what they want to see.

So something, or someone, created the universe but when it reached a certain size, then BBT can talk about it.

Space and time are woven into that "primeval atom" (original name by Lemaitre). BBT is all about the expansion (not an explosion into something) and that includes spacetime with it. Perhaps this expansion happened within some sort of other space outside our observable universe, but that discussion is metaphysics, at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger M. Pearlman
Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
We know that the universe was created by a Big Bang. And, time and space also started when the Big Bang occurred (I don't know about space, but I'm sure about time). So, if the universe started with a bang and time started along with it, does that mean that the speed of the expansion of the Universe at time zero is infinite? And, had the Universe started to expand at time zero?
180605-big-bang-illustration-al-1141_c426a54e8d4f6d67f0b33d1abb671d40.jpg
Please understand in this way,
When contraction happened, it has to be with a force which pulls thing with such a force where even light can not escape. Meaning, thereby, objects and light falls with a speed more than light. Light has momentum but not mass but other objects do possesses. This process not only give the singularity infinite energy but also momentum. In this momentum velocity v is more than light. The singularity started moving with the speed more than light.
When this loose energy (Singularity) slows down, regain some Mass. It tend to expand and from this moment time started.

IG2007

Well, I guess you understand it in the wrong way. Contraction never happened before it, as there was nothing "before" it. As there was no time before it. There was nothing outside it, and thus, nothing more can fall inside it. Time started when the big bang happened, the moment of big bang is known as time zero. Like 0 Kelvin is -273 Celsius, same is with the big bang.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Well, I guess you understand it in the wrong way. Contraction never happened before it, as there was nothing "before" it. As there was no time before it. There was nothing outside it, and thus, nothing more can fall inside it. Time started when the big bang happened, the moment of big bang is known as time zero. Like 0 Kelvin is -273 Celsius, same is with the big bang.
Very well put!

Reactions: IG2007 and Daygeesh
Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
True all laws of physics broke down. There was no time and space according to Known Physics but is it possible that nothing created “God Particle”. There has to be something. Big Bang explains it that there was no time so no need to go further. Big bang never says anything about before big bang. Please.

IG2007

True all laws of physics broke down. There was no time and space according to Known Physics but is it possible that nothing created “God Particle”. There has to be something. Big Bang explains it that there was no time so no need to go further. Big bang never says anything about before big bang. Please.
Well, I guess, you don't understand the meaning of "The God Particle". The God Particle is not related to God, it is just a nickname for Higgs Boson. The God Particle is just a name to excite readers and make it more interesting, nothing else but sensationalism.

According to Wikepedia:

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics, produced by the quantum excitation of the Higgs field,[8][9] one of the fields in particle physics theory.[9] It is named after physicist Peter Higgs, who in 1964, along with five other scientists, proposed the Higgs mechanism to explain why particles have mass.

My question is that, at the moment of the big bang, had the expansion started? If it had, the speed must be infinite as anything divided by 0 is infinity, as far as I know. I would like to have a better answer. @Catastrophe , do you have a better one, sir?

Catastrophe

Hi again!
"My question is that, at the moment of the big bang, had the expansion started? If it had, the speed must be infinite as anything divided by 0 is infinity, as far as I know. I would like to have a better answer. @@Catastrophe , do you have a better one, sir?"

Did I not suggest to you some time ago, that it is pointless to play around with infinity, dividing or adding? That is my answer still

My question is that, at the moment of the big bang, had the expansion started? If it had, the speed must be infinite as anything divided by 0 is infinity, as far as I know. I would like to have a better answer. @Catastrophe , do you have a better one, sir?
Given that expansion had started , there would be no need for an infinity result since speed is distance divided by time, and, for speed, it wouldn't be a set time but the difference in the two points of time for the distance traveled, so in this case, it would be t1 - t0, a value not zero.

But, your infinity point is still a good one because what if t1 is a value super incredibly small, then the speed would necessarily be incredibly fast, faster than light no doubt. So, to the point I keep trying to make, the laws of physics completely breaks down before reaching t=0, and what you note is one reason.

The theory called Big Bang, for infinite reasons, does not begin at t=0. You need metaphysics to make clever suppositions to address energy, density, etc. at t=0, and these suppositions are outside the magisteria of formal science, which is objective based.

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
Well, I guess, you don't understand the meaning of "The God Particle". The God Particle is not related to God, it is just a nickname for Higgs Boson. The God Particle is just a name to excite readers and make it more interesting, nothing else but sensationalism.

According to Wikepedia:

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics, produced by the quantum excitation of the Higgs field,[8][9] one of the fields in particle physics theory.[9] It is named after physicist Peter Higgs, who in 1964, along with five other scientists, proposed the Higgs mechanism to explain why particles have mass.

by God Particle I mean Higgs Boson only please replace the words and then read the explanation

IG2007

Given that expansion had started , there would be no need for an infinity result since speed is distance divided by time, and, for speed, it wouldn't be a set time but the difference in the two points of time for the distance traveled, so in this case, it would be t1 - t0, a value not zero.

But, your infinity point is still a good one because what if t1 is a value super incredibly small, then the speed would necessarily be incredibly fast, faster than light no doubt. So, to the point I keep trying to make, the laws of physics completely breaks down before reaching t=0, and what you note is one reason.

The theory called Big Bang, for infinite reasons, does not begin at t=0. You need metaphysics to make clever suppositions to address energy, density, etc. at t=0, and these suppositions are outside the magisteria of formal science, which is objective based.
Well, according to Google, metaphysics is: the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space. Well, Google says that it deals with abstract concepts. Being, knowing and identity are abstract concepts. Time and space have definitions in Physics, thanks to Einstein. And no, Physics is now powerful enough to talk about events before or at the moment of Big Bang which was not possible a 100 years back.
by God Particle I mean Higgs Boson only please replace the words and then read the explanation
Well, it still means the same. Please elaborate your explanation.

Catastrophe

"Had the Universe started to expand at time zero?"

The answer is simple. In the first place. the answer is unknowable, because we have no understanding of the conditions at time t0.
You know my estimation of those anyway - they are just as meaningless as any others, except that I do not believe in size = 0 at t0. So my problem is not the same.
So please forgive me, IG2007, if I do not participate further in this thread.

Cat :)

Reactions: IG2007
Well, according to Google, metaphysics is: the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space.
[my bold] Right, and philosophy, and also religion, are subjective-based and not of the realm of true science.

And no, Physics is now powerful enough to talk about events before or at the moment of Big Bang which was not possible a 100 years back.
Don't confuse physics with math only. There are some remarkable math constructs that strongly hint to other universes, but unless someone can present a hypothesis that has a testable claim that would allow the claim to be falsified, then it isn't a bona fide scientific hypothesis. That's not a soft rule for science. There's nothing wrong with being philosophical unless we accidentally confuse it with science.

Latest posts