Question Help Regarding Selecting Best Telescope

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Hello, all
Here does anyone know that which is the awesome telescope of this era to see the moon and planets with a real close up to be able to see craters, rings, etc? I am new to this field so I have no clue or any idea. I have a budget of $600. So please tell me can I get anything good with this budget?

If you want to see good details of the planets and Moon you will need high magnification, up around 200-250 or so. Your maximum magnification is about 5 times the aperture in inches. More magnification than that just makes the blurry details bigger. At these high levels, motor guiding is a must. Computer locating is highly desireable. For $600 you can get a Celestron 5" GoTo. It is a good company that makes good telescopes.
Celestron NexStar 127SLT Computerized Telescope | 40% Off Highly Rated Free Shipping over $49! (opticsplanet.com)

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
The utter low-level beginner's hardware would be a cute, cheap, hand-held, 30-power, 11-inch-long Tasco scope that looks like what pirates had and can also be used for watching earthly matters like birds, landscapes and neighbors' windows because it shows a right-side-up image.

Most astronomical scopes show an inverted image because they have fewer lenses. The more lenses, the less bright the image is because lenses absorb and reflect some of the light, and that's why they do away with glass that would turn the image around, and not because they want to save money.

Such a tiny device can't be used for watching the planets but with it one will see the Moon as never before, and the Pleiades, a star cluster, which with the unaided eye is a mere splotch, will be seen as a constellation that looks quite like the Big Dipper (an asterism that is the long tail and the hip of the Great Bear, who in real life would never have such a tail). It ought to be called "the Tiny Dipper". I even managed to make a drawing of it.

One doesn't need optical instruments to draw the bigger constellations, or the tiny Southern Cross (if you're near the equator or lower down), which is as bright as a reflective traffic sign, and is being trodden on by the much bigger Centaur, which I was never ever able to see clearly.

As far as I could see, that's all one can do with it at night, unless one also finds window-watching amusing. From a fourth floor I could see a neighbor's bookshelf across the street on a first floor and was able to read the title on the spine of a thick book: Best Ghost Stories.

If one wants to see the Moon features and the Pleiades clearly one has to lean on something, like a wall, to keep steady. The focus tube slides back and forth.

May 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello, all
Here does anyone know that which is the awesome telescope of this era to see the moon and planets with a real close up to be able to see craters, rings, etc? I am new to this field so I have no clue or any idea. I have a budget of $600. So please tell me can I get anything good with this budget?
Star sense explorer brands are of low budget and great quality
look at it

May 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello, all

You can check out the "StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ" telescope. It also links up with smartphone technology.

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
One piece of advice I heard and encourage is to invest in a high-quality eyepiece. This will not only improve what you see with the scope you buy now, but it will also come in handy if you decide to upgrade to a larger telescope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: billslugg and Helio
Nov 24, 2022
Visit site
I have been able to see pretty good images of the moon from my setup which uses a Celestron 130slt telescope and I have shot the moon with a Canon 600 D DSLR. You can see as close as you want with a good eyepiece with high magnification.

Latest posts