Helping the original Star Wars trilogy look good now

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Now that Episodes I, II, and III are out, the original trilogy, even the special editions, look horrible. They look grainy and the light sabers (especially in <i>A New Hope</i>) look flat. So what can be done about that short of a complete remake? I doubt anyone wants a remake that might change the plot. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

E

etavaunt

Actually mate, the re-issued DVD copies of them, have been snazzied up a LOT with CGI and extra scenes.

W

willpittenger

Actually, if you are talking about the version that came out in the late 90's to prepare us for the prequels, that is what I referred to as "Special Edition". Watch the light sabers in <i>A New Hope</i>. They look flat rather than round and as they turn on and off, you see the actors make sudden moves. (The film was edited together to skip when the actors switched props.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

D

docm

A 12 year old with a PC and AlamDV (now EffectsLab Pro) can do better lightsaber effects than Hollywood did up until just a few years ago. Go the VisionLab Studio route and it's amazing what can be done at home. Check out the demos here;<br /><br />FXhome....<br /><br />Gallery.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

I should also note two other problems with the Special Edition of <i>A New Hope</i>:<li>The scene where Luke stops at the stormtrooper checkpoint looks cheesy. It was much better in the original version. The Special Edition puts a droid moving in front. The droid was obviously cut from some other scene. In the new location, it looks flat (2d) and makes the entire scene look like an old fashioned collage.<li>I don't like the new version of the Death Star explosion. Real explosions that are that powerful would send debris everywhere. Forget the nice neat ring.</li></li> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

E

etavaunt

If you calculate the size of the Deathstar, then the speed of the explosion and the area it covers, it defies the laws of physics, you know. Faster than light expansion.<br /><br />probably those midiklorians at work, eh?.

J

jcdenton

Call it nostalgia but I prefer all the old effects in the original Star Wars trilogy to all the glitzy unimaginative CGI in the special editions and the prequels. No changes are really needed, but unfortunately Lucas keeps tinkering with them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.