Holographic photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I state this as several questions that are semi-independant.<br /><br /><li>Are color holograms possible?<li>Can we turn 3-D electronic images (like those returned by Mars Express) into holograms?<li>Assuming both of the first two are true, would there be a market for holograms of something like Olympus Mons?<li>Assuming the item above is true, would scientests allow specialized camera systems onboard an interplanetary probe inexchange for funding from those holograms? (Instead of seperate exposes with a filter, theses system might take each color at the same time in order to speed the process up.)<li>Could holograms for sale fund an entire spacecraft?<br /><br />The basic market would be for those that want a hologram on their desk or coffee table. Some from the surface of Mars or elsewhere might work on a wall, but not those taken from space.</li></li></li></li></li> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

willpittenger:<br />Are color holograms possible?<br /><br />Me:<br />Check this link out, it may prove useful with holographic specifics and appears to say color holography is possible and in the case of the I.D. card, is already in use.<br /><br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography<br /><br />willpittenger:<br />would there be a market for holograms of something like Olympus Mons?<br /><br />Me:<br />I guess the only way well ever know if someone tries to sell such images.<br /><br />willpittenger:<br />Assuming the item above is true, would scientests allow specialized camera systems onboard an interplanetary probe inexchange for funding from those holograms? (Instead of seperate exposes with a filter, theses system might take each color at the same time in order to speed the process up.) <br /><br />Me:<br />An especially good question and one I think the answer is probably yes if it can be shown to have scientific merit.<br /><br />willpittenger:<br />Could holograms for sale fund an entire spacecraft? <br /><br />Me:<br />Kind of like the earlier question which basically can only be answered if someone establishes a market, creates the need, etc. One things for sure, this idea would be spectacular in practice. I once thought we'd have something like holographic television by 2000 but had to settle for HDTV instead. Of course, I can't afford either...lol.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.