how to achieve a higher dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerramy

Okay, so this is probably just another of my longhair crazy ideas, but here goes.<br /><br />A 2d strip of holographic material encapsulates a 3d image, in essance a very limited pocket universe with no time component.<br />It follows that a 3d cube of holographic material would encapsulate a 4d image. I suppose with a special device, you could read each layer in turn, to create a 3d movie.<br />In this case, the contents of the cube are static, enclosing a small moving 3d sequence.<br />However, if you use some process to modify the otherwise fixed atomic storage, you now have added the very real time dimension to the equation.<br /><br />A holographic core acting as the RAM of a computer (this might be getting into quantum computing, I don't know) would have a total of 5 dimensions.<br />So what is the 5th dimension of a holographic core, if it's not the 3 spacial and 1 time dimension?<br /><br />Any ubber-physics-geeks out there that can clarify for me?<br />

N

najab

><i>A 2d strip of holographic material encapsulates a 3d image, in essance a very limited pocket universe with no time component.</i><p>A hologram doesn't 'store' or 'encapsulate' a 3D image. A hologram is very much two dimensional. It is a 2D image of the interference patterns created by a stereo view of an object - if that interference pattern is recreated, then we <b>perceive</b> that a 3D object is there.</p>

G

grooble

Remember those holographic discs that can hold 1 Terabyte?

Status
Not open for further replies.