Question How to get started with Astronomy?

Oct 7, 2024
Visit site
Hey! I’m Mason, I’ve always been interested in Astronomy and space in general. But, where do I start? This question has been haunting me for a while since I have no clue where to begin, projects, and just in general how to know about space.

If anyone could help me with this question I would be more than happy as a new member of the forums. Thanks!
- Mason725803

When I was young, I was fascinated by the stars and planets. I went to the library and read everything I could get my hands on. Start with the simple things you do need to know, like the constellations, how position is measured, the different times used. Let your curiosity guide you. You do not need a mentor nor do you need formal education, it can be done solo.

Reactions: Mason725803
Oct 7, 2024
Visit site
When I was young, I was fascinated by the stars and planets. I went to the library and read everything I could get my hands on. Start with the simple things you do need to know, like the constellations, how position is measured, the different times used. Let your curiosity guide you. You do not need a mentor nor do you need formal education, it can be done solo.
Thank you, that helps a lot, I was planning on heading to the library also and am currently viewing a crash course (it doesn’t make much sense). Is there anything else I should know to get started?

Yes, forget about a telescope until much later. Start with 7 power binoculars. Scopes can be very expensive, very difficult to use, very fragile. Things such a details on the surface of Mars require high magnification which means expensive mountings, lots of fiddling around. Your second scope might be a spotting scope, up around 20 power. That's about the limit for being hand held and braced. When you get up to 30 power you need a tripod. Good details on Mars would be up around 250 power. Very precise motor drive required. Very precise collimation needed. Good alignment to due north. Work your way up gradually. Go to the pawn shops and junk stores. They are littered with 4.5" Newtonian reflectors on tripods that people got out of collimation. You can't see anything, it's all fuzzy. Deep price discount. Same with big binoculars. Thirty power binos go out of collimation easily, just by setting down hard. You must take them apart and turn tiny screws to get the two images together. Joe Average can't do this, sells them for pennies.

Latest posts