I dare to question Einstein!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pioneer0333

In Einsteins theory explaining what would happen if the sun suddenly vanished( he states that the planets would fly free from their orbit off into outer space once the ripple of the gravitational plane reaches the planets if the sun were to vanish). He talks of how the sun sinks in the gravitational plane, thus causing a dip in the plane, which itself explains why the planets revolve around the sun in a pretty much circular orbit. This theory explains why all the planets revovle the sun, but what about Pluto? If the sun has created a dip in the gravitational plane, and causes the other planes to circle the sun(imagine the sun being at the bottom of a bowl, it is at the bottom because of it's weight, and the other planets are at different levels inside the bowl due to their weight, but the sun is the heaviest and therefore is at the lowest level), but this does not explain why Pluto has such an "off beat" orbit around the sun. If the sun produces such a dip in the plane, and pluto being so lite in weight and mass, why does'nt pluto orbit the sun at simply a more elevated orbit around the sun, instead the angled orbit it presently takes around the sun in relation to the orbit of the other 8 planets?<br /><br /> If you know what I'm talking about please respond to help me figure this out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

Ellipses in the gravity well of the sun can be inclined to the solar equator.<br /><br />Mercury's is tilted 7 degrees.<br /><br />No biggee.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

P

pioneer0333

Now that i think about it, that's exactly right. Pluto's orbit must be outside of this dip in the"space fabric" around the sun.<br /><br /> But switching gears, this theory is also the factor that Einstein theorized the possibility of worm holes to. Since the sun produces such an effect on space, it really should be possible create a "worm hole". But how do you grip 2 different sides of space, and then compress the area of space in between. Two stars in close enough orbit would generally create a natural example of "space fabric" compression. I think! I dunno, I'm getting confused now. Since every object in the galaxy revolves around the center of the galaxy in relation to the galactic plane, how can two different "foot prints" sort of speak both face each other. Ex, S to N or W to E. Each stars impression on the galactic plane will be postioned or in other words facing the same direction. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

you're taking the "fabric" analogy a bit to literally. Spacetime distortions <i>aren't</i> planar. It's merely a way to help visualize the mathematical relationships. The distortions are really 4 dimensional (3 dimensional stretching in a 4 dimensional "hyperspace"). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Thank you Saiph for stating that.<br /> It's a problem with using analogies to compress dimensions.<br />Except for Homer Simpson, of course.<br /><br />MW <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

P

pioneer0333

I know the dimensions, it's just strange to me to think of space being compressed. Einstein is saying that space itself is compressed under the sun. My real question, how can a star create this much distortion? Another question is , how is space affected by something like the super massive black holes at the center of every galaxy? Does this distortion create "sink holes" sort of speak in the space fabric?<br /><br /><br /> I ask so many questions because I have so many questions! Space and every thing in space has gripped me since I was a kid, but with every answer I get for a question I ask simply brings more and more questions. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

harmonicaman

<i>"...it's just strange to me to think of space being compressed."</i><br /><br />I dislike the idea that space is actually being "Compressed"; although this is a widely used analogy. I believe that once it has been created you cannot uncreate or compress time and/or space... <br /><br />I would describe the phenomenon a bit differently: The universe is the interaction between the static and unchanging "m" and "E" (mass and energy) and the infinitely expanding "c" (space and time). These two entities are not compatable -- the "c" is forced to curve around any "m" and "E" it encounters.<br /><br />This forced curvature of the "c" around the "m" and "E" causes two things to occur: One; time slows down because the curved path is longer than the straight path; and two, less space is actually being created because time itself takes longer to unfold -- it isn't a compression of space, but a curvature of time, that we observe!<br /><br /><i>"...how can a star create this much distortion?"</i><br /><br />Because all the "m" and "E" in the universe has been exerting this influence on "c" since time began! Every bit of "m" and "E" carries with it its own little curving influence. Put enough mass in one place and this collected curvature can be quite profound.<br /><br /><i>"...how is space affected by something like the super massive black holes at the center of every galaxy?"</i><br /><br />The Black Hole is simply an area of the universe where so much mass has accumulated that it has become completely "Solid"; meaning that there is no time and space being created there -- the "c" is forced to infinitely curve around these areas of "m".<br /><br />These are great questions and I would be happy to argue the alternative analogies and opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts