Idea for Chinese space station

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tohaki

I know that the Chinese are planning to make both a short-term mini-station by connecting orbital modules and launching a Salyut-size station later. I realise that they will probably leave behind orbital modules on that station, but wouldn't it make sense to equip it with several docking mechanism? You could have one at each end that you keep clear and maybe another four in a ring around the centre. Then they could leave behind one or two orbital modules on each of those four and eventually get a star-shaped station (sort of). What do you think?

N

nacnud

Sounds good, but the extra docking mechanisums might be quite heavy and limit the rest of the station due to mass constraints. Perhaps an additional node could be added later instead in order to keep the initial station as simple as possible?<br /><br />

T

tohaki

Yes, maybe that is a better idea. You could launch the station with two docking mechanism, one at one end and the other closer to the middle. Then connect something similar to Node 2 on ISS to the one in the middle and let the orbital modules connect in a star around it. That would give you a layout similar to the solar panels on Skylab. A docking mechanism at the end of the node could be kept free for double docking (crew and resupply ships at the same time) together with the one at the end of the main station module.

T

themanwithoutapast

Considering, that China is launching manned mission only every second year and does not plan to have a higher average than one manned mission over the next couple of years, the idea of leaving orbital modules behind to increase the size of a station is not very rational.<br /><br />In addition, consider that any small station consisting of 2 docked Shenzhou or consisting of one Salyut like module (to do that they have to develop a heavier launch rocket in the first place) will have rather limited maximum lifetimes of about 2-4 years. A Salyut type space station might be visited by 2-4 crews and then abandoned.<br /><br />With regard to a Chinese Mir/ISS type spacestation, we will not see that for a while.

T

tohaki

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Considering, that China is launching manned mission only every second year and does not plan to have a higher average than one manned mission over the next couple of years, the idea of leaving orbital modules behind to increase the size of a station is not very rational.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Is it not logical to assume that they would step up the launch rate once a space station is in orbit?<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>In addition, consider that any small station ... consisting of one Salyut like module ... will have rather limited maximum lifetimes of about 2-4 years.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Why is that?<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>...to do that they have to develop a heavier launch rocket in the first place...<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Isn't development of the CZ-5 just around the corner?

T

themanwithoutapast

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Is it not logical to assume that they would step up the launch rate once a space station is in orbit? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Not if we are talking about the combination of 2 Shenzhou space station-type or the Salyut space station type. Besides, a considerable part of the Chinese budget for space is currently spend for Shenzhou missions, even a step up in flights from one every two years to one every year would be rather considerable. And as far as I know the next manned launch of Shenzhou is 2007 with the fourth launch either 2009 and 2010 (the time when they want to use Shenzhou 8 and 9 as a combined spacehab for the Shenzhou 10 mission), thus no plans for the next 5 years to step up launch frequency.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><br />-------------------------------------<br />In addition, consider that any small station ... consisting of one Salyut like module ... will have rather limited maximum lifetimes of about 2-4 years.<br />-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Why is that?<br /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <br /><br />Well, I compared it to Salyut lifetimes. The Salyut that has been in use for the longest time was Salyut 7, from 1982 to 1986. <br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><br />Isn't development of the CZ-5 just around the corner? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />As far as I know the CZ-5 project has not even been approved yet, with a development time of 5-6 years it will take some time (and a lot of money) to have a launch craft ready for a 20ton Salyut type spacestation. I would say 2012 at the earliest.

T

tohaki

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Besides, a considerable part of the Chinese budget for space is currently spend for Shenzhou missions, even a step up in flights from one every two years to one every year would be rather considerable.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>The Chinese bugdet growth is considerable aswell.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Well, I compared it to Salyut lifetimes. The Salyut that has been in use for the longest time was Salyut 7, from 1982 to 1986.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>That doesn't mean that a Chinese 20 tonne space station won't last longer... unless there is something I'm missing. Maintaining orbit should be easier than with the ISS.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>As far as I know the CZ-5 project has not even been approved yet, with a development time of 5-6 years it will take some time (and a lot of money) to have a launch craft ready for a 20ton Salyut type spacestation. I would say 2012 at the earliest.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Yes, that seems to be the timeframe.

N

nacnud

Given that the SZ space craft are compareable to 2 or 3rd generation spacecraft from US/CCCP why wouldn't you expect their first spacestation to be consiterably better than the US/CCCP first generation staions.

J

j05h

This is the most recent model of space station that China has shown, from 2000. <br /><br />http://www.astronautix.com/craft/prot9212.htm<br /><br />It has many of the features suggested, including two 10-hatch nodes. Pretty impressive, especially with the features of Shenzhou's orbital module. They seem to be moving (slowly) toward a robust man-tended LEO station.<br /><br />Astronautix has a lot of answers, if you're interested in space, it really is the encyclopedia. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.