Idea to make SF animation easier and more accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I find myself thinking of a system where you give the animation software a script (think of Ruby; only resembling a normal movie script), and it does the rest. To get there, you create some neural net based AI objects. Some of those objects would be vehicles. They would understand things like "Shields Up". If object is a starship and the script calls for "Maneuver X" that the vehicle recognizes, it performs that maneuver synched with everything else on screen.<br /><br />For character objects, you base all Klingons on a "Klingon" base object. That intern would be based on a "humanoid" object. The Klingon object helps ensure that all Klingons act like Klingons. If the script were to call for some Klingon to apologize, the Klingon might say something like "What do you think I am? A Targ?" instead.<br /><br />This system means that if you need a Klingon with a limp, you make that change in the character by teaching it to limp. It then performs that limp at all times. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

D

docm

Scripting languages are already used in studio 3D animation and video editing software, in fact high order animation can't be done without good script coders. <br /><br />These include features like collision detection, physics, particle systems, dynamics, kinematics, facial/skeletal animation etc. Even the freeware packages like POV-Ray have them to a limited degree. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm fortunate to have recently come into a bunch of 3d software. Python seems to be used alot. It's extremely versatile. What you describe is also mirrored in how "Poser" works. It also uses python. Others use proprietary scripting languages; Maya uses (M)aya (E)mbedded (L)anguage, 3ds uses MAXscript and lots of plugins etc, etc..<br /><br />However, I've done some C++ variant coding that performs similar functions that you describe. In fact, IMO, there isn't a versatile game out there that doesn't use C for alot of its scripting. I could, with a few hammer hits to the keyboard, pop out some scripts like that for several games. Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and The Elder Scrolls- Morrowind +et al rely heavily on a C variant in order to script the game and both include construction/editing packs for users to modify the games however they wish. (Alot of other games are starting to catch on to this craze and are including sourcefiles, 3ds plugins and game engine compilers as either part of the product or a separate download.)<br /><br />Most of the heavy duty hands on production stuff for movies is done strictly from scratch, from what I've seen. Scripts are used to control a lot of the mundane utility stuff but are probably just as malleable as the objects their working with. For movies, what you're suggesting is better controlled by the "paper" script than a coded one. For games and simulations, what you're describing has been done for a long while, unless I am misinterpreting you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

docm

Lightwave 3D uses LScript (based on LISP)<br /><br />Massive has the ability to create thousands, or millions, of "agents" that act as individuals and uses Python <br /><br />Softimage XSI is open, being able to use scripts written in JScript, OMScripting, PerlScript, Python, ScOps and VBScript. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

This is the next-gen step in graphic engines for games and simulations IMO: Project Offset http://www.projectoffset.com/<br /><br />Take a look at the downloads. The dragon is rendered REAL TIME within the engine itself. NO post production work or rendering ques for that demo reel. There are also videos showing how the engine handles objects enabling it to have hundreds of objects with dynamic animations and a very unique particle effect system that really looks outstanding in real time. That's the key really; All of this is done real-time WITHIN the engine itself. They're not rendered sequences done outside of the engine. Quite possibly, the best real-time renders I've ever seen. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

docm

Impressive game engine, but cinema has other requirements and renders in resolutions so high using highly detailed meshes, procedural elements, particle effects, textures, bump & lighting maps etc. that even using a rendering farm each frame can take hours. <br /><br />Example: King Kong's New York scenes involved over 100.000 building models with most having details down to about 3" and some finer than that.<br /><br />That's how you win F/X Oscars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

Aye, for film it's a very different process. I was just remarking on the abilities of this new game engine to produce results that would normally only be seen on outside renders. For film, it's a whole other ball of wax.<br /><br />Interesting stuff on the King Kong film. I doubt I could render much more than one of their mailboxes on my home computer heh heh. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

W

willpittenger

I was talking about scripts that looked like normal movie scripts. Such scripts read more like English than Ruby or JS. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

A

a_lost_packet_

So, in effect, the system would read the "script" of the movie and then carry it out by using object based scripts?<br /><br />ie: <Drunk Klingon stumbles in the background /><br /><br />Engine: Depicts a Klingon in stock costume drunkenly stumbling in the background and crashing into some tables.<br /><br />Something like that? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

Star Trek meets the The Sims ? ....<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS