In the Shadow of the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crix

<p>Just saw this movie last night.<br /><br />Fantastic new footage of the men, the spacecraft, and especially the lunar surface. The quality of these recordings (never before seen footage) was fantastic and is so much more satisfying than the grainy video footage we are used to. There were moments where the clarity of the footage became amazingly "real," where it wasn't a matter of half imagining what the view would like if you were actually standing there due to grainy old video... you actually saw what a man on the moon would see. I get a bit emotional during these movies. I tend to tear up with awe and just a pride to be part of this species. This movie did that to me a couple times. <br /><br />Also, I continue to be so impressed by the caliber and character of these men. In their interviews they showed great youth, spirit, and shared their honest and funny inside view on the whole experience. There is something about all of them that I admire but I can't put my finger on it. Whether or not they had gone to the moon these were just fine men. Clear thinkers, cool headed, kept things in perspective, optimistic, and honest human beings. Well, it should be obvious now but they are definitely role models. I wish one of them were my grandfather... I'd love to have Thanksgiving with him, haha!<br /><br />Michael Collins was particularly enjoyable to listen to. He was the Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot. He doesn't get a tenth of the publicity of the other two but he had the audience hooting and laughing. Maybe it was just a bunch of space nerds that wanted to like the guy, but I don't think so.<br /><br />Just wanted to share that with everyone here. Oh, and the great footage of the Saturn V on the pad and thinking about Ares V sitting there in the future.... man!! Those F-1 engines are monster! So inspiring! I saw some SpaceX employees at the screening too. Generations of explorers... It's so awesome.</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Where is the movie available to be viewed? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

jschaef5

Saw it a couple months ago. Great movie. Actually quite funny too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx s_g. Where did that review come from? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

symbolite

I can't wait to see this myself. Im currently planning to go to NYC sometime in the coming weeks and see it at an IMAX theatre. Anyone have any idea how long this might be in theatre's? Don't know when ill get the time to go and i don't want to miss it in theatre. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

holmec

Definitely will acquire for my personal library. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

B

bobblebob

From The Earth To The Moon is a good mini series directed by Tom Hanks for anyone who hasnt seen it. Hour long programs each detailing the many space programs over the years.

B

brellis

Has anyone seen For All Mankind?<br /><br />That was the first time I ever saw that incredible Earth Rise clip. Cool music by Brian Eno too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

B

bobblebob

Just watched this too. Quite emotional in places. How come Armstrong didnt want anything to do with the movie? I know he has probably told his side of the story thousands of times, but if i was him i would never get bored of telling it. Shame he wasnt in it <br /><br />Edit: In the mini series with Tom Hanks "From the Earth to the Moon", they mention that when attempting to leave the moon, the LEM's engine wouldnt ignite and they thought they might be stook on the surface. Think it said a switch was stook and Armstrong used a pen to fix it. However in all programs about Apollo 11 ive never heard it being told apart from the series i just mentioned. Any links to a more detailed account of it?

A

anthmartian

I am really looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Brellis, i have been trying to get "For all mankind" on DVD for a long time. I have a beaten up old VHS tape of it. Again, as has been said here, parts of that movie have wonderfully clear sharp detail on it. My favourite clip is riding with the Lunar Rover. Incredible picture quality, well just incredible full stop.<br /><br />Brian Eno's music on that is amazing. It works so well. I always wanted to get a CD with those tracks on. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em>"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"</em></font></p><p><font color="#33cccc"><strong>Han Solo - 1977 - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....</strong></font></p><p><br /><br />Click Here And jump over to my site.<br /></p> </div>

Hi shuttle_guy, <br /><br />I thought that story was true, the switch toggle was broken, due to a <br />cumbersome suit snapping it off & a pen had to be used. <br /><br />Yes, obviously the engine did ignite without issue. <br /><br />Also I have the Spacecraft films of Apollo 11 (three DVD set) & the STS-109 Columbia - Hubble mission<br />DVD, amongst others.<br /><br />Trying to get Apollos 15, 16 & 17 in particular, but seem virtually impossible in Britain, without<br />them being Region 1 (I have a multi region player, but often take disks to my mum, <br />freinds etc & they do not, restricted to Region 2), so really I would need to <br />obtain Region 2 of said DVDs, to make the expensive purchases worthwhile.<br /><br />I also have the five DVD pack of NASA, 50 years of Space Exploration, from Explorer 1<br />to the Challenger / 51L explosion & investigation.<br /><br />They cover Apollo quite well, but obviously not in the same depth as the Spacecraft <br />Film DVDs. <br /><br />If any British members can help me to locate (I have searched the web), I would be grateful.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

B

bobblebob

Yeah thats it, cheers. has been awhile since i saw that program so couldnt remember exactly what the problem was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts