info on a specific satellite

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
I've spotted what I think is a satellite, but not sure that it is. This particular satellite "flashes" a very bright light as it travels across the sky. The flashes pulse every 3-7 seconds. Almost like camera flashes. And then fades out of view. Ive seen this same thing multiple times over the past few years.
Im stumped. Anyone have an idea? I live in Tennessee if that makes a difference.

Reactions: rod
I've spotted what I think is a satellite, but not sure that it is. This particular satellite "flashes" a very bright light as it travels across the sky. The flashes pulse every 3-7 seconds. Almost like camera flashes. And then fades out of view. Ive seen this same thing multiple times over the past few years.
Im stumped. Anyone have an idea? I live in Tennessee if that makes a difference.

FYI, you likely need specifics here that allows you to look up satellite times crossing for your location when you viewed. I record satellite observations in my stargazing log, most are polar or equatorial orbiting and at times, some apparently are tumbling, flashing on and off as they move by. I observed a satellite burn up too (10-April-2018 near 2236), using 10x50 binoculars. On 12-August-19 near 0530, I viewed the Perseid meteors and a satellite passing by. "While observing the Perseid meteors this morning, I watched a polar orbiting satellite pass through Cassiopeia heading south, in descending node. The meteors streak by at some 59 km/s, the satellite moved near 8 km/s."

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
FYI, you likely need specifics here that allows you to look up satellite times crossing for your location when you viewed. I record satellite observations in my stargazing log, most are polar or equatorial orbiting and at times, some apparently are tumbling, flashing on and off as they move by. I observed a satellite burn up too (10-April-2018 near 2236), using 10x50 binoculars. On 12-August-19 near 0530, I viewed the Perseid meteors and a satellite passing by. "While observing the Perseid meteors this morning, I watched a polar orbiting satellite pass through Cassiopeia heading south, in descending node. The meteors streak by at some 59 km/s, the satellite moved near 8 km/s."
I did have the thought that it may be tumbling, however I didn't expect to see it in the very same vicinity and traveling in the same direction as the last few time I saw it. Ill keep better note if and when I see it again.
Thanks.

Latest posts