Inside Black Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcbethcg

The Universe may be a black hole. We might already be in one.

C

centsworth_II

You cover a lot of ground, but the statement I most take issue with is this:<br /><br /> <i>"...an explosive force, which we know as a big bang.... <br /> Big bangs are not common."</i><br /><br />A big bang is not an explosive event in the same sense that a nova or super nova is. It is a creation event, where a new time and space reality is created and expands as a new universe which is outside any other universe, including our own. Because any newly created universe is apart from ours -- no communication between the two possible -- we will not see it or its creation. Therefore we cannot know if there are other universes being created, or how many. Some day, methods may be found for observing the effects of such things.<br /><br /> <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

robnissen

I find your idea that the Milky Way's black hole could predate the big bang to be interesting because it helps explain how the Milky Way could have formed so quickly, but unlikely because the Big Bang created space-time, at least in our universe. If space-time did not exist before the Big Bang, a black hole could not predate it because the black hole would have Oakland's problem: There is no there, there. As black holes exist in space-time, it does not seem reasonable that they could exist before space-time.

W

wisefool

It is hard to estimate the age of a black hole just a few tens of billions of years old. Yes, it is possible that our Big Bang could have created multiple black holes, and that is one acceptable solution to the presence of black holes in ancient galaxies such as the MW. Still, the original suggestion remains viable.<br /><br />I might also add that space-time AS WE KNOW IT is OUR space and OUR time. Black holes could transit/persist from one space-time continuum to another. Nobody has conclusively proven that ALL of a previous universe must have collected at precisely one point at precisely one time to suffice for a Big Bang to occur. Perhaps there is a critical mass for Big Bang events to occur, beyond even supermassive black holes, but certainly much less than the total mass of a "universe." Here is an interesting physics problem, analogous to what it takes for a white dwarf to become a Type I supernova, but of course on a different scale. The difference is we can see and measure supernovas, but not yet Big Bangs. Our space-time universe is thus both a womb and an observational tomb -- unless studies of gravitons and other exotica phenomena point to possible interpenetration among adjacent universes.<br />

D

diogenes

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Black holes could transit/persist from one space-time continuum to another.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />how does matter exist in not-matter

W

wisefool

This apparent paradox of matter existing in non-matter is easily resolved if you consider that OUR universe may only be a subset of THE universe. The idea of billiard-ball universes, juxtaposed, expanding and contracting, and occasionally interpenetrating, is one model to resolve your paradox. <br /><br />Another way of resolving this puzzle is to imagine only a necessary part of the previous "universe" going into, and coming out of, the local Big Bang. Left behind would be a substantial number of black holes awaiting the onrush of fresh material from the latest Big Bang.<br /><br />There has been some confusion regarding what indeed is space/time. We too easily equate what is observed with how it is observed. Using photons as a "space/time" measure is OK; but we should not imagine that our tool is the sum of all tools in all universal dimensions.

W

wisefool

There may come a time when we "understand" black holes. However, it is possible that quantitative changes in size may yield qualitative differences in significant characteristics. I have already alluded to this factor when discussing orbiting matter/energy captured within the event horizon. There may be additional surprises, which would be fine. Life is a journey to wisdom. As they say in Zen, if you see the Buddha, kill him. You haven't seen the Buddha. Nor can you ever "see" the Buddha, which is a shorthand for absolute knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.