International astronomy year of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alokmohan

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.nl.html?pid=24529http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.nl.html?pid=2452917-January-2008, Paris: The organisers of the International Year of Astronomy 2009 (IYA2009), the International Astronomical Union and UNESCO, welcomed this week the 100th participating state to the growing ranks of participating states and organisations for this worldwide astronomy project. This milestone is reached only four weeks after the official Proclamation of IYA2009 by the United Nations. <br /><br />The latest state to join the International Year of Astronomy 2009 initiative is the People's Republic of Bangladesh. This is a particularly welcome addition to the growing worldwide project since one of its aims is to promote astronomy and develop astronomical networks in developing countries. <br /><br />Mr. F. R. Sarker the General Secretary of the Bangladesh Astronomical Society is the Chair of the Bangladesh IYA2009 National Node and explains why he and his country are participating in the International Year of Astronomy 2009: "The IYA2009 is a historic event which will offer unique opportunities for the people of Bangladesh to learn more about the incredible developments in the field of astronomy." <br /><br />The International Year of Astronomy 2009 projects and activities aim to help millions of people worldwide to rediscover their place in the Universe through the day and night time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery. The International Year of Astronomy 2009 represents the largest coordinated effort of professional and non-professional astronomers in history for popularising astronomy. The President of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) Catherine Cesarsky says: "We are delighted that the International Year of Astronomy 2009 gives a chance to the astronomers from the IAU

D

doublehelix

<p>I just discovered this through a web search I did to help a user who emailed me.&nbsp; It sounds very cool.&nbsp; What do you all think?</p><p>As far as activities go, here is some info:</p><p><em>The IYA2009 activities will take place at the global and regional levels, and especially at the national and local levels. National Nodes in each country have been formed to prepare activities for 2009. These Nodes establish collaborations between professional and amateur astronomers, science centres, educators, and science communicators.</em></p><p>Is anyone involved with any of these national nodes?&nbsp;</p><p>http://www.astronomy2009.org/</p><p>-dh&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#3366ff">doublehelix, Community Manager<br />Imaginova </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I just discovered this through a web search I did to help a user who emailed me.&nbsp; It sounds very cool.&nbsp; What do you all think?As far as activities go, here is some info:The IYA2009 activities will take place at the global and regional levels, and especially at the national and local levels. National Nodes in each country have been formed to prepare activities for 2009. These Nodes establish collaborations between professional and amateur astronomers, science centres, educators, and science communicators.Is anyone involved with any of these national nodes?&nbsp;http://www.astronomy2009.org/-dh <br />Posted by doublehelix</DIV><br /><br />Here in meteorland, we're gearing up :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

doublehelix

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here in meteorland, we're gearing up :) <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Be sure to let us know what you guys are planning when it happens!</p><p>-dh&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#3366ff">doublehelix, Community Manager<br />Imaginova </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts