Internet sleuths solve secret message on Perseverance rover's Mars parachute

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Good catch. JPL with Viking colored the sky blue on raw assumption, later realizing their mistake.

The sky near the Sun, however, is blue due to selective scattering. I suppose that is a possibility here.
That thought came to mind as I watched it but also how many shots of the Martian sky do we have looking straight up? That would be the view of least dust and considering how rarefied the atmosphere is I tend to believe that it normally is bluish at the zenith.
I hope they address this because I am really, really curious about it!
BTW I don’t know if you are old enough to witness the Viking landings, I was 11 and I vividly remember that first color photo and the news anchor remarking “look at that blue sky!” LOL
It’s amazing just how much Mars resembles deserts on Earth when you color the sky blue.

That thought came to mind as I watched it but also how many shots of the Martian sky do we have looking straight up? That would be the view of least dust and considering how rarefied the atmosphere is I tend to believe that it normally is bluish at the zenith.
I hope they address this because I am really, really curious about it!
BTW I don’t know if you are old enough to witness the Viking landings, I was 11 and I vividly remember that first color photo and the news anchor remarking “look at that blue sky!” LOL
It’s amazing just how much Mars resembles deserts on Earth when you color the sky blue.
The particle sizes of its air molecules, and perhaps a lot of fine dust, is just the right size to scatter red light far more than blue light. So, a caramel zenith sky would be far more likely, IMO.

I was about 2x your age at that time and wish I would have been more interested in those missions.

Latest posts