Iron ring aroud the Sun? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eagledare

I heard some time ago that an iron ring was found between the Sun and Mercury and someone said a planet is going to form there and even gave it a name. Anyone here that can help?

D

docm

IIRC the IRAS satellite found a dust cloud between the sun and mercury that is largely cometary debris etc., but I doubt that it has mass enough to form a planet or it would have done so by now. The distance from the sun to the cloud that sticks in my head is ~2 solar diameters.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mikeemmert

Sometimes these posts result in an interesting and enjoyable read. Thanks for your post.<br /><br />The planet Vulcan was predicted by non other than Urbain Le Verrier, the same person who predicted the existence and orbital elements of Neptune, which was found using his co-ordinates after about a ten minute search. Based on what was known at the time, it seemed a reasonable hypothesis. The perihelion of Mercury's orbit precessed by 43 arcseconds per century. Le Verrier calculated the mass of a planet that would do that.<br /><br />The search for Vulcan was plagued by bogus sightings and perhaps by SOHO type comets. But as astronomers followed up on the "discoveries", proposed planets were not found.<br /><br />The Vulcan theory was finally superceded by Albert Einsteins general theory of relativity, which predicted exactly the precession of the planet.<br /><br />Nevertheless, the search for Vulcan continued. Aside from what you will find in the link above, Black Brandt rockets were launched from White Sands Missile Range, and S. Alan Stern (New Horizons Pluto probe Chief Investigator) went up in an F-18 jet to get photographs.<br /><br />(That's the only photo I was able to find of Dr. Stern, standing outside the cockpit, and I can't find it again. Unfortunately, he resembles shock jock Howard Stern [without the hair] and terrorist Avraham Stern of the infamous Stern Gang. This should not be held against him.)<br /><br />Anyway, these projects have eliminated the possibility of any planet, planetoid, or asteroid larger than 60 km in diameter with a permanent orbit inside of Mercury.<br /><br />However, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) has detected a steady drizzle of comets raining in on the sun. This was kind of unexpected. SOHO has recently detected it's 1000th comet. These come in ou

E

eagledare

Thank you for that interresting input Mike I will post as soon as I hear something more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.