Is ISS orbit change for lunar-bound craft servicing possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJay_A

What would be required to alter the orbit of ISS in order for it to function as a servicing station docking port for US or ESA/Russian lunar-bound manned spacecrafts?

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What would be required to alter the orbit of ISS in order for it to function as a servicing station docking port&nbsp;for&nbsp;US or ESA/Russian&nbsp;lunar-bound manned spacecrafts? <br />Posted by PJay_A</DIV><br /><br />I don't think an orbit shift would be needed, or useful. The only way to slow down a lunar capsule is to use the earth's atmosphere, and my then it's pretty much too late to use the ISS as a way station.&nbsp;</p><p>Even ignoring that, &nbsp;it's use as a servicing station will be very limited. The supplies that can be delivered to the ISS by the time a lunar mission will happen will just be enough to support the ISS from the way it looks like they will develop.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What would be required to alter the orbit of ISS in order for it to function as a servicing station docking port&nbsp;for&nbsp;US or ESA/Russian&nbsp;lunar-bound manned spacecrafts? <br />Posted by PJay_A</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Changing the ISS orbit is not practcal. It would take far too much energy ( The ISS will have a mass of nearly 900,000 pounds when it is completed). In any event the ISS could&nbsp;let Lunar bound spacecraft dock with it in it's present orbit even though it's orbit is not optimun for that purpose.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

PJay_A

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I don't think an orbit shift would be needed, or useful. The only way to slow down a lunar capsule is to use the earth's atmosphere, and my then it's pretty much too late to use the ISS as a way station.&nbsp;Even ignoring that, &nbsp;it's use as a servicing station will be very limited. The supplies that can be delivered to the ISS by the time a lunar mission will happen will just be enough to support the ISS from the way it looks like they will develop. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />No, I mean lunar-BOUND craft (i.e. before making its lunar&nbsp;journey). For example, an Orion-Altair complex could be assembled and inspected and repaired if need be from the ISS before heading off to the moon. Additionally, this scenario would allow ISS astronauts or cosmonauts to hitch a lunar transit ride, if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts