Is Mars square Mercury 4-14-21?

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
This is more of a astrology question but does anyone know if mars is currently square with mercury? I'm not an astrologer, but I'm looking at the geocentric position of the planets and mars and mercury are 90 degrees apart but I cant find any websites or charts saying mars is square with mercury so I'm not sure if I understand what square means in the context of the planets.

Reactions: Catastrophe

COLGeek

I just have to ask...Why?

Is some great life decision based on this information? Or, are you just curious?

I suggest going to a site like this one for these questions. This is not really applicable to the goals and objectives of this site.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Just curious...I don't know anything about astrology either and I dont have any access to astrology forums or anything like that since that's not my main focus...just thought someone here might know...I'm really not going to lose sleep over it if no one knows.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Also the astrology link you provided doesnt give any clues to answer my question but thanks anyhow...I was just wondering about the square config. Not really all that other stuff.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
The planets have alignments and when u look in the sky they are a certain number of degrees apart...sometimes there's a conjunction if they're like 10 degrees apart or whatever...however if they're 90 degrees apart does that mean they're square? And if they're within a certain amount of tolerance from 90 degrees (let's say plus or minus 10 degrees) are they still considered close enough that its basically meaning they're about 90 degrees apart from a conjunction(i.e. squarish)?

COLGeek

The planets have alignments and when u look in the sky they are a certain number of degrees apart...sometimes there's a conjunction if they're like 10 degrees apart or whatever...however if they're 90 degrees apart does that mean they're square? And if they're within a certain amount of tolerance from 90 degrees (let's say plus or minus 10 degrees) are they still considered close enough that its basically meaning they're about 90 degrees apart from a conjunction(i.e. squarish)?
Sure, as the planets move through their orbits, they will align, at times, to particular angles. Those angles are meaningless.

You can use an app like Stellarium to show the planetary orbits and their relative positions, at nearly any given time.

In the days of Kepler and Galileo (early 1600's), astrology was integral with astronomy and medical practice, and, keep in mind, we know that celestial objects can affect us. The tides, likely best example, were often considered to be due to the Moon's distant mysterious action, which it is but more complicated than you might think. Comets and impact events also have, well, impact. :)

But neither Kepler nor Galileo had much faith in astrology even when they were occasionally pressed to practice it. It's been downhill for astrology from there, IMO. Newton soon came along and quantified gravity, which demonstrated the affects of the planets as being physically insignificant, even if they all line-up.

I wouldn't imagine a 90 deg. alignment, however, would excite astrologers. Conjunctions, I assume, are the exciting events. There are probably sites one can go to and see if there is any comments about it. If there is some hub-bub about Mercury, I'd wouldn't mind hearing of it.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Now let me surprise you.

First of all the questioner should buy current Ephemerides if he wants to be an astrologer. They are not expensive and give all the information he needs. Are they now available on line?

Secondly, Mars square Mercury would, according to astrology, cause conflict in the mind, anger and disquiet. The degree of this would have to be related to the Birth Chart. For example whether there is any connection between Mars and Mercury there which might exacebate or mollify the current situation. Beware travel!

Thirdly, astrology does not accept the inverse square law, so that it rates the influence of Jupiter as expander of other influences, and Saturn a limiting, controlling influence (still very powerful). Mercury is quite important in travel and matters of the mind

Yes. Although I am a scientist I spent quite a long time studying astrology. That was about 50 years ago. My current disapproval is based on things like attributing strong powers to Pluto - where has the influence of Eris and Makemake been all these millenia? And what about Ceres? Yes, I have studied it in great detail and in a very scientific manner. My advice - leave well alone. Although, probably by chance, I found interesting "coincidences".

As far as Sun Signs are concerned in the Daily's. (imho) Grow up!

Cat :)

Reactions: Helio

Catastrophe

Astrology For Today :: The Planets Today

This will answer your question your question probably, although it does not seem to give the coordinates (RA and dec). Mars is very very loosely square to Mercury. Certainly nowhere near 90 degrees separation according to the figure. You really need the data, not an image.

Actually, in my opinion, you are probably better off without the data.

Mars is advanced in Gemini, Mercury is just past the middle of Aries. As far as I can see (without numerical data) that is nowhere near the 8 degree separation boundary for a square.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Ok..thanks COLGeek. I appreciate you're looking into this...but it's not meaningless in terms of where the planets are so they can be observed. Also if the other planets weren't in orbit our solar system would be a lot different...I'm sure the orientation of the planets directly affects conditions on earth. I just dont know how, and probably not researched it enough or lived long enough to notice how, but that's another issue...it helps to know where the planets are not just for observing them basically, but some people aren't even aware that certain alignments of the planets can affect patterns on earth. It's just so often most of the time the awareness is only focused on the conjunctions.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Cat!! Ok...got it.
I dont know what Ephemerides are even but I dont think I would need that right now. Seems like the mercury mars positioning is pretty much answered for the lay person without having to get into declination and ascension values...M & M are roughly at a right angle to eachother as they would appear in the sky if u could see them simultaneously.

PS. I appreciate the addionaly personal insight you provided...yes...sometimes the occurances with the planets are just coincidence unless you believe there is no such thing as coincidences.

COLGeek

Ok..thanks COLGeek. I appreciate you're looking into this...but it's not meaningless in terms of where the planets are so they can be observed. Also if the other planets weren't in orbit our solar system would be a lot different...I'm sure the orientation of the planets directly affects conditions on earth. I just dont know how, and probably not researched it enough or lived long enough to notice how, but that's another issue...it helps to know where the planets are not just for observing them basically, but some people aren't even aware that certain alignments of the planets can affect patterns on earth. It's just so often most of the time the awareness is only focused on the conjunctions.
None of which adds merit to the value of astrology...

Catastrophe

www.astro.com Astrodienst (=astro service)

Current Planets
14-Apr-2021, 15:16 UT/GMT
Sun2453'37"9n38Moon2228'58"16n46Mercury201'34"6n41Venus2950'25"10n33Mars2438'27"24n48Jupiter2545'25"13s35Saturn1219' 4"17s38Uranus945'19"14n21Neptune2153'25"4s12Pluto2645'57"22s10TrueNode1128'26"r22n09Chiron948'18"6n01Explanations of the symbolsChart of the moment

If I read this correctly, Mercury is 201 20 Aries and Mars 24 Gemini. If so that is a loose 60 degree sextile which is supposed to be crative and favourable. Great energy in thought procrsses and activity in travel. But don't hold me to it!

URGENT Hit chart of the moment - it does look like a sextile!

Last edited:

Catastrophe

lfr2 Empemerides are simply tables with lots of info.

Mercury201'34"6n41
Mars2438'27"24n48

Explanations of the symbolsChart of the moment

This may need explaining. We see Mercury about 20 and in Aries (1st sign - hence 201) Mars is about 24 and in Gemini (3rd sign - hence 243). Neither is anywhere near 201or 243 degrees (from 0 which is 0 Aries).

I am not saying I believe any of this. Just that I do understand it.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Cat!! That's the answer I was looking for!! So they're not 90 degrees apart!! They are 60 degrees (actually about 64). Nice chart in the Chart of the Moment. That was how I was able to see what you were talking about.

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Oh...ok..that's an interesting way of thinking about it...the calculation is based off zero from the first sign...so according to astrology theyre 64 degrees apart. But I was oversimplifying it to just angular rotations about the ecliptic plane so O was getting 74 degrees. I learned some astrology now too though! Thanks so much! So my question basically got answered twice with two correct answers!! Thanks for going the extra mile!

Latest posts