Is Nemesis, the opposite of the sun, real?

Is Nemesis real?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Untheorized

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cpickens89

i think that it would have been seen by now , i seen this on the science channel the other day they were talking about the possibilty of it exsisting , they also pass this off as causing mass extiction on the earth every 26 million years meaning that every 26 million years in its orbit it travels through a certain astroid belt that shoulds debris our way

((an alternate explanation to the dino extiction))

i think its highly unlikely that our solor system is a binary system

R

ramparts

Mmm... it's a really cool idea, but unfortunately if it were there, we'd probably have found it. Last I'd heard, some researchers in the brown dwarf community looked for it among the L dwarfs (the brighter of the brown dwarfs) and found nothing, so if it's there then at best it's a T dwarf - the coldest brown dwarfs (not even stars) we know of. And by then we're getting around the mass at which Nemesis wouldn't even be strong enough to do what they say. So it's possible, but unlikely ;)

ramparts":3qgd9uzr said:
Mmm... it's a really cool idea, but unfortunately if it were there, we'd probably have found it. Last I'd heard, some researchers in the brown dwarf community looked for it among the L dwarfs (the brighter of the brown dwarfs) and found nothing, so if it's there then at best it's a T dwarf - the coldest brown dwarfs (not even stars) we know of. And by then we're getting around the mass at which Nemesis wouldn't even be strong enough to do what they say. So it's possible, but unlikely ;)

Hi rampats,

I agree with you completely. Thgere was a theory quite a while ago based on purported long period comet aphelia deflections that a massive body could be lurking approx 1 LY in front of the constellation of Delphinus the Dolphin, near the border with Equuleus the Little Horse. Of course nothing like a brown dwarf has ever been found there.

With the means at our disposal, I would suspect lets say a 50 Jupiter mass Brown Dwarf would have been found by now. At best it would be a t Dwarf, but even then I'm very doubtful. I suppose a Jupiter or Saturn clone could be in such an orbit & would still be massive enough to scatter Oort Cloud bodies (if they exist), but even then I think we would have found it by now.

After all the Oort Cloud is a theory, a very plausible one, but it has never been observed, unlike the Kuiper Belt which we know for a fact does exist, with Eris, Pluto, Haumea & Makemake being the largest known members,

Andrew Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts