Is this for real? Mars close to earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rachelmfptaylor

I got an email at work saying that Mars is going to be <i>incredibly</i> close to earth in August, and look about the size of the moon. I've looked at several sites, though, and haven't seen any news on this. <b>Is this for real?</b><br /><br />Thanks,<br /><i><b>Rachel</b></i>

L

lunatio_gordin

No, it's not for real. there's a number of threads in this very forum where we've said how it's impossible. <br />Please, whatever you do, don't forward it...<br />Ah, at least you found out if it was true, i guess.

G

gavino

No man srry its not so. I wish it was.. Mars will be very close to Earth but will only be a bright red star in are sky. If u have a telescope u will see mars very nicely. Next time u get a e-mail like this always look at "Sky and Telescope.com", "Space.com", and "NASA.gov to see if its real. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">gavinovz</span></p><p> </p> </div>

R

robnissen

It will be VERY close, for Mars that is. My guess is the basis of the confusion is that Mars will apparently be the third brightest light in the sky, after the Sun and Moon. Apparently, people then botch that to say it will be as big as the moon.

D

dellcom200

hmm well mabe just mabe nasa sent up a giagantic convex lense and when earth andmars r on either end it will cause it to appear the size of the moon hehe<br /><br />accually that would b quite kool a giant lense in space that would magnify parts of the sky so it could b seen by observers onthe serface.... hmmm... lol

L

Leovinus

Until the Sun came into view -- then we'd fry. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

lowendfreq

Is this what you got?<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p> NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN. <br />The Red Planet (MARS) is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.<br /><br />The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.<br /><br />The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. By August 27, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot.<br /><br />At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.<br /><br />Share this with your family, friends, children and grandchildren!!!!!!!!!!!!! <br /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts