Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
Today I was out on my porch at 5:49 this morning,and saw ISS passing overhead I am living in the northern part of the country,so I had to look WEST NORTH WEST and saw ISS it was so cool 😎 the app that I used was the ISS finder

Reactions: rod
FYI, I encounter observations of the ISS at times when I am out stargazing. My log shows this entry for 25-April-2020 when I viewed Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter in early morning sky. That was a fun observation!

[Observed 0445-0545 EDT. Sunrise 0616 EDT. I used 10x50 binoculars this morning and enjoyed views of Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter along the ecliptic. Fields were very wet from rain yesterday and ground fog in the fields. Some deer were out nearby and snorted at me, they walked off and ignored me after a bit. Stellarium 0.20.1 showed the ISS moving from SSW to E in the sky chart view. I viewed the ISS starting about 0529 EDT, low in SSW moving across to the E. The elevation angle was higher than Jupiter and Saturn near the ecliptic when the ISS passed the planets this morning along the ecliptic. I tracked the ISS from 0529 EDT until 0536 EDT when it disappeared behind a low cloud bank to the east. The ISS orbiting at 8 km/s in 7 minutes, traveled some 3360 km above the round Earth this morning while I watched (2100 miles). Earlier, near 0516 EDT, an equatorial orbiting satellite passed by moving west to east and about apparent magnitude 2.0. The ISS was as bright or a bit brighter than Jupiter when it passed above Jupiter and Saturn in elevation angle. Jupiter mv -2.31 this morning.]

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
FYI, I encounter observations of the ISS at times when I am out stargazing. My log shows this entry for 25-April-2020 when I viewed Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter in early morning sky. That was a fun observation!

[Observed 0445-0545 EDT. Sunrise 0616 EDT. I used 10x50 binoculars this morning and enjoyed views of Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter along the ecliptic. Fields were very wet from rain yesterday and ground fog in the fields. Some deer were out nearby and snorted at me, they walked off and ignored me after a bit. Stellarium 0.20.1 showed the ISS moving from SSW to E in the sky chart view. I viewed the ISS starting about 0529 EDT, low in SSW moving across to the E. The elevation angle was higher than Jupiter and Saturn near the ecliptic when the ISS passed the planets this morning along the ecliptic. I tracked the ISS from 0529 EDT until 0536 EDT when it disappeared behind a low cloud bank to the east. The ISS orbiting at 8 km/s in 7 minutes, traveled some 3360 km above the round Earth this morning while I watched (2100 miles). Earlier, near 0516 EDT, an equatorial orbiting satellite passed by moving west to east and about apparent magnitude 2.0. The ISS was as bright or a bit brighter than Jupiter when it passed above Jupiter and Saturn in elevation angle. Jupiter mv -2.31 this morning.]
When I wake up early in the morning after my hubby leaves for work I go out on my porch and am looking North West,and am seeing this real bright object object,and googling bright 🌞 objec
In the sky and then asking questions on my cloudy Nights forum
I was told that it was either Jupiter, or it might be Saturn

Reactions: rod
When I wake up early in the morning after my hubby leaves for work I go out on my porch and am looking North West,and am seeing this real bright object object,and googling bright 🌞 objec
In the sky and then asking questions on my cloudy Nights forum
I was told that it was either Jupiter, or it might be Saturn

I ran a simulation just now using Starry Night for my location (MD) set to 0500 EDT/0900 UT for this morning. Vega is a very bright star in Lyra NW sky. Venus is also up and bright, ENE sky. The waning gibbous Moon, Saturn, and Jupiter are lower in SW sky. If you do not use Stellarium, it is freeware and you may enjoy. http://stellarium.org/

Latest posts