Just how fast can an STS orbiter be turned around?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

News articles that were linked to in this thread have the entire operation done in 4 weeks. How do you manage to pull that off when you need 4 weeks for your "VAB/pad flow?" <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

Interesting. I did not watch the entire movie, but SpaceCamp had Houston attempting to bring the bird back remotely as their was only one qualified person on board. What they did not know was that person was unconscious outside the payload bay when they started to remotely close the doors. (That would not only be fatal to the space walker, but could be fatal to the orbiter if a tether was used.) The kids on board took over, canceled the landing, reopened the doors, retrieved the astronaut, and landed manually. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>You can certainly resupply with a Progress launch<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I doubt it. Orbiters were probably not designed with orbital refuels in mind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

S

scottb50

I think the problem is terminology. You say cable in when you mean providing a means of operating switches that are designed to be operated manually. Since they are all electrical it's a matter of providing an interface between the flight computers and the system being controlled.<br /><br />What you are saying is run cables from the computers to the device replacing the gear handle and the APU switch so they can be operated by the computer.<br /><br />The bottom line is a Shuttle could be modified to be fully automated pretty easily. You could still leave the switches for manual operation and the basic flight control system would work either way. It would even be possible to use a simulator and fly the Shuttle manually, like they do spy drones. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

erioladastra

"Is there a provision for powering some shuttle systems from the ISS? "<br /><br />Yes, in the future we will have Station/Shuttle Power Transfer Systems (SSPTS). Not sure which Shuttle will first get this, probably not before 13A.1. This is planned to allow the orbiter to stay docked a few days more.

B

bushuser

I did not make myself clear. If 9 people are stranded on ISS [in its current configuration], then they can receive food, water, and oxygen from Progress launches. It will be useful have a functioning toilet, heaters, and galley on the docked, damaged shuttle while these guys are camped out awaiting rescue. That would necessitate an electrical transfer from ISS to the shuttle, after 2-3 weeks.<br />Hollywood has different ideas, but in reality they're not going to send hydrogen or hydrazine up on a Progress.<br />"No user servicable components inside"

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Hollywood has different ideas, but in reality they're not going to send hydrogen or hydrazine up on a Progress. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Actually, they do use the Progress vehicles to deliver fuel to the station's Russian modules. I am told there is a way to even pump on board without human help other than flipping a switch. The problem you have is getting the hydrogen and oxygen to the shuttle. The western-built components were not designed with anything like that in mind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

G

georgeniebling

SG,<br /><br />I note your post about a minimium ascent crew being being four people .... but why then were the first flights able to go with a crew of only two.<br /><br />Also ... you acknowledged that a quickturn rescue would not be possible on a recently returned Shuttle if another Shuttle was stuck away from ISS.<br /><br />In that case ... the unrescuable crew ... what is the contingency? <br /><br />Soyuz flight with food until rescue flight is available?<br />Starvation?<br />Decompression?<br /><br />And who would have the authorization to make such a decision and at what point?<br />

G

gawin

I would think that long before any type of starvation/death of crew senario that they would find a way to FIX the shuttle here on earth and launch the fix to the station. IE some sort of patch that could only be made on the ground but be applied in space.

W

willpittenger

OK. Thanks. You probably did not think about it, but it would have helped if you had brought it up. Just a thought for next time -- if you think about it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

I seem to remember that Soyuz capsules have a limited production rate and shelf life. The shelf life is why the capsules are regularly changed. That, in turn, is how the Russians are able to send up paying "space tourists." They have empty seats they want to sell. Plain and simple, they have capitalism partially figured out. Trouble is, capitalism and closed door societies do not get along. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts