Just watched "Moon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

Not a bad flick, shades of "Blade Runner" only milder. I think we will have operable fusion reactors long before we can sucessfully clone humans en mass though.

I

ILUVSPACCE

Yeah it's a good movie and I'm with you on fusion reactors and cloning.

F

FlatEarth

I just watched it also. It was entertaining, but I guess I was hoping for a greater mystery. Worth renting, IMO.

K

kelvinzero

My only complaint is that a movie called 'Moon' should really have been a stab at the definitive lunar SF. The moon and the mining were really just setting details.

K

kelvinzero

bdewoody":302brdij said:
I think we will have operable fusion reactors long before we can sucessfully clone humans en mass though.

Probably right, however, Fusion has seemed close for the last few decades without coming much closer. Creating an adult human in weeks seems a long way away but we are making dramatic strides towards it. For example we may be close to using 3d printing to create ears, and stem cell mass production. Maybe if you just assemble a manshaped collection of cells and give each portion hints about what sort of cell they are meant to be, it could self assemble into a full grown human over weeks.
(It would still have no memory and underdeveloped bones no doubt)

D

docm

Fusion could be a double-edged sword. On one hand is the energy aspect, a good thing. On the other is the development of direct fusion technologies where no uranium or plutonium is required to set off a fusion bomb, just a fusible material like Lithium-6 Deuteride. Not being radioactive it would make for a hellatious, and pretty much undetectable, suitcase bomb given a big, concentrated energy pulse. Even today they're working on tabletop plasma wakefield accelerators that can generate huge energies in short distances; >1 GeV over about 3.3 cm.

B

bdewoody

From what I've seen and heard a suitcase fusion bomb is so far in the future that our great great great great...............grandchildren may have to deal with it. It seems that every new promising technology has it's dark side.

K

kelvinzero

We are facing a number of double edged swords over the next 50 to 100 years or so. It is really just a matter of whether the robots, genetically engineered plagues, grey goo or suitcase nukes get us first.. Oh and zombies. Lets not forget zombies. :)

I

ILUVSPACCE

bdewoody":18tjp9wb said:
From what I've seen and heard a suitcase fusion bomb is so far in the future that our great great great great...............grandchildren may have to deal with it. It seems that every new promising technology has it's dark side.

That is a really frightening thought.

S

StarRider1701

ILUVSPACCE":2gr0h1do said:
bdewoody":2gr0h1do said:

That is a really frightening thought.

What's so frightening? We already have suitcase fission bombs that can level an entire city. How much bigger a bang do you need from a suitcase, anyway?
There have always been those who look at any new tech with a veiw towards the latest, greatest killing device. This is nothing new. In fact war has probably spurred more technological developement than all other peaceful endevours combined.

K

kelvinzero

Always risky to extrapolate from the past to the future. Yes war has pushed us forwards and clearly never ended us entirely.. but we are breaking long-held rules daily now. Up till the moment we could fly you could accurately point out that despite all our advances, we cannot fly. Up till the moment we create the first entirely artificial life, you could accurately point out that all life comes from life. Up to the moment that some new weapon kills absolutely everyone we can accurately point out war has never killed everyone so far. It is not that reassuring! :)

A

andrew_t1000

I bought "Moon" on Bluray yesterday.
The director says he pays homage to classics like Outland etc.
The "Evil Corporation" getting rich no matter what the cost!
I better be careful, I keep slagging off Monsanto, Microsoft and others, I think I saw the Monsanto Tactical Response Helicopter circling about the other day......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts