Korea announces long-term space exploration plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mithridates

See, I always tell people to keep an eye on up-and-coming countries when thinking about the long term. Korea's just about finished its spaceport in the southwest of the country (외나로ë„, woenarodo in the county of Goheung in the province of Jeollanam-do) and it's about to announce long-term plans for space exploration after a decade of research and whatnot.<br /><br />So, which country should we be keeping an eye on next? Turkey? Azerbaijan? UAE?<br /><br />http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2007/05/129_3679.html<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Other Planets to Be Explored in 2017<br /><br />By Kim Tae-gyu<br />Staff Reporter<br /><br />The government plans to explore planets other than Earth after a decade of preparation and studies of technology associated with rockets and satellites.<br /><br />The Ministry of Science and Technology disclosed the scheme on Monday at a hearing geared toward discussing a 10-year plan to develop space-related businesses.<br /><br />``We look to spend 3.8 trillion won improving technology on research in the space industry through 2016,'' a ministry official said at the hearing held in Seoul.<br /><br />``After wrapping up the 10-year project, we will explore planets, mostly those in the solar system other than Earth, in 2017,'' the official said.<br /><br />The space development program will be finalized late next month after consultation with other ministries and discussion at a state-run space commission.<br /><br />In addition, the Science Ministry hopes that the large-scale investment will help the country secure source technology in space research and other segments.<br /><br />Such technology is expected to create big wealth in the future from the lucrative space industry.<br /><br />voc200@koreatimes.co.kr <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />(PS: I live in Korea for those wh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>----- </p><p>http://mithridates.blogspot.com</p> </div>

C

ckikilwai

It's nice that Korea starts a space program, do they have intentions for corporation as well (with Japan for example)?<br /><br />What kind of rockets do the Koreans have?<br />And a space port so far from the equator, doesn't that restrict the capabalities of rockets launched there?<br />

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">So, which country should we be keeping an eye on next? Turkey? Azerbaijan? UAE?</font>/i><br /><br />My money is on UAE. Space Adventures has already announced (and UAE has kicked in $30 million so far) plans to build a spaceport in the UAE for space tourism.</i>

M

mithridates

Much further south than Baikonur, though I'm not sure about what this translates to when carrying out actual missions compared to a location further south. It's just north of 34 degrees, and the island of Jeju-do (the largest island in the country and now an autonomous region) about 50-60 km further south is where the tracking station in located.<br /><br />I don't remember the exact names of the rockets Koreans have but starting this year or the next they'll be able to launch their own satellites from the spaceport, but in the coming years it'll be able to launch heavier and heavier missions. I think the limit for the first few years will be 150 kg, which is why they're not trying to do anything right this moment.<br /><br />As for cooperation, there's a lot with Russia as far as I know - they have their first two potential astronauts training there now for example. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>----- </p><p>http://mithridates.blogspot.com</p> </div>

P

PistolPete

The Koreans are developing the KSLV series of launch vehicles. The first stage is the Russian Angara core stage with various combinations of Korean made solid and LOX/kerosene upper stages. The largest version, the KSLV III, can put a 1,500 kg payload into an 800 km polar orbit. This is not a whole lot, but if they enlarge the rocket to an Angara 3 or 5 configuration then it could put up quite a bit.<br /><br />The planned Goheung launch site at Oeraro Island is at 34 degrees, 25 minutes north latitude. This is about as far from the equator as Wallops Island in Virginia or Woomera in Austrailia, so it shouldn't hurt payload capacity too bad, especially compared to places like Baikonur. I wouldn't be too surprised if Russia and Korea agreed to put an Angara pad there.<br /><br />KSLV I<br />KSLV II<br />KSLV III<br /><br />Goheung Launch Center <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

G

gunsandrockets

<The Koreans are developing the KSLV series of launch vehicles. The first stage is the Russian Angara core stage with various combinations of Korean made solid and LOX/kerosene upper stages.><br /><br />Fascinating. Does this mean that Korean money is partly subsidizing Russian development of the Angara?

G

gunsandrockets

<See, I always tell people to keep an eye on up-and-coming countries when thinking about the long term. Korea's just about finished its spaceport in the southwest of the country (ø‹≥™∑Œµµ, woenarodo in the county of Goheung in the province of Jeollanam-do) and it's about to announce long-term plans for space exploration after a decade of research and whatnot. So, which country should we be keeping an eye on next? Turkey? Azerbaijan? UAE?><br /><br />Isn't that exactly the market Bigelow Aerospace is planning to serve? How likely do you think rich nations without manned spaceflight capability are to take up the offer from Bigelow? <br />

N

nyarlathotep

<font color="yellow">The Koreans are developing the KSLV series of launch vehicles. The first stage is the Russian Angara core stage with various combinations of Korean made solid and LOX/kerosene upper stages. The largest version, the KSLV III, can put a 1,500 kg payload into an 800 km polar orbit.</font><br /><br />The first mistake was going with the Angara CRM as the first stage, it's already slipped seven years to 2012. Russia soon might instead just forgo the thing and build Soyuz 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts