LCROSS Lunar South Polar Cabeus Crater impact Mission

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jakethesnake

Re: LRO/LCROSS Mission

Thanks Wayne, it will be very interesting to see what they find.

Also, I love the through the grapevine insight it always adds to the anticipation. ;)

B

BSJ

For whatever reason Sky & Telescope sends me a poll to chose a cover of future magazines. I don't know why...

Anyway, this months choices for February are:

LCROSS.jpg

Has there been any official word about no water elsewhere?

M

MeteorWayne

No, no official word, and no official results, perhaps typical media headline grabbing. Maybe they know something that no one else does, maybe it's just hype. I will vote against that cover since the evidence isn't in yet. Really it's not known if no water was found.

H

HopDavid

BSJ":3bgtc9yh said:
For whatever reason Sky & Telescope sends me a poll to chose a cover of future magazines. I don't know why...

Anyway, this months choices for February are:

LCROSS.jpg

Has there been any official word about no water elsewhere?

"No water found" doesn't equal "No water."

M

MeteorWayne

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- NASA will hold a news conference Friday to talk about early science results from its successful moon impacting mission, the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS. The satellite gained worldwide attention when it plunged into a crater near the moon's south pole on Oct. 9.

The briefing from NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., will begin at 9 a.m. PST {That's Noon EST, 1700 GMT} , on Nov. 13. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency's Web site. For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

The panelists are:
- Doug Cooke, associate administrator, Exploration Systems Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist for Exploration Systems at NASA Headquarters
- Anthony Colaprete, LCROSS project scientist and principal investigator from Ames
- Greg Delory, senior fellow, Space Sciences Laboratory and Center for Integrative Planetary Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley

M

MeteorWayne

Reminder:
LCROSS Science Briefing on NASA TV at the top of the upcoming hour (Noon EST)
MW

K

kelvinzero

It was worth getting up at 6am for! (nz time)

(I will leave summary to more deserving members :) )

M

MeteorWayne

LCROSS Did Hit Water!

I will start a thread in Space Science and Astronomy to discuss these specific results.

S

Swampcat

I'm trying to watch the news conference, but it so broken up I can't follow it.

I must assume that's because we're still feeling the effects of the n'oreaster that's hitting the east coast. Three days of heavy wind and rain in November is not fun.

K

kelvinzero

I think it will be replayed at noon eastern time.

M

MeteorWayne

Actually, that's when it was live.

The Science Briefing will be replayed at 4 PM EST, and 8 PM EST (2100 GMT, and 0100 GMT Nov 14th) on NASA TV.

K

kelvinzero

Sorry, right. Early morning on a saturday here :)

Why cant there be a website that will actually let you plug in american eastern time in one box and your time zone in another? All I found was a website that let you plug in the GMT values which you had to dig up yourself by navigating though several links to webpages with different formats.

Great news and I hope to read some good analyses on that thread you put up on viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21100

M

MeteorWayne

Well, you really should be experienced in converting GMT to your local time zone. Of course, I do it the easy way.. my watch is always set to UT (GMT) for meteor observing, and all the clocks in my house (except for Ann's alarm clock) are set to EST. :)

It's harder for you :)

You should know how to convert EST (the time for all cape launches) and CST (the time for most ISS related events) to your local time.

If you need help, feel free to PM me, and I'll give you the standard conversion hours.

Wayne

Thank you very much Wayne, that is absolutely fascinating stuff.

That is cold Wayne, -415 F = -262 Celsius or only 11 Kelvin (just done some number crunching).

Colder than even the Neptune moon Triton or KBO Dwarf Planet Eris, the coldest known major bodies.

Apparently Mercury could have COLDER polar craters than that!!!!!!! MESSENGER should tell us :mrgreen:

Nice oblique view across a 15 KM section of the N E rim of Cabeus Crater (the one that LCROSS impacted the floor of). LRO was rolled 70 degress to obtain the image with LROC.

Image here.

A five KM section I croppod out. Cabeus crater interior is the shadowed bit at the bottom.
5KMsectionofCabeusCraterNErimLROCLR.jpg

Andrew Brown.

B

baldyspate

Did LCROSS get cancelled

Did the LCROSS mission get poor ratings and get cancelled?
I waited and watched and after a few morsels....nothing.
For months, nothing. Not a "please stand by...", nothing.
NASA should take down it's LCROSS webpage if it's going
to pretend the program never existed.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Did LCROSS get cancelled

There's a whole thread here discussing the results. LCROSS was a one time impact event.

I'll merge this comment into that discussion.

More results will come out over the next year as the data continues to be analyzed.

Hi Wayne, I have done that my freind. :)

Nice to have a chance to go through that fascinating thread once again, though most of the LRO stuff is my nonsense. :)

I will go through the LCROSS NASA sites & update.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Hey, thanx Andrew. Having split threads before I know how time consuming it is, and with my 7 day a week temp job, time has been limited lately.
Looks like you did a great job!

Wayne

You are very welcome Wayne.

It was a major job, as only allows one page at a time to be merged & going through all posts to see what were LRO or LCROSS.

CentaurimpactMIR-cameraLCROSS.jpg

IR view. White areas above 35 C. Red areas 18 C , dark blue minus 45 C & black areas colder than minus 50 C.
394495mainMIR-camerafalse-colorfull.jpg

Clickabe thumbnail, progression of Centaur impact.

Dust plume from Centaur impact.
CentaurimpactLCROSS.jpg

Floor of Cabeus Crater in IR. Light reflected onto the floor from sunlit rim, though this area never receives sunlight. It is also cryonocally cold here, approx minus 242 Celsius / 31 Kelvin. The surface here is peppered with tiny impact craters in the cryonically cold regolith.
FlootofCabeusCraterIRLCROSS.jpg

FlootofCabeusCraterIR2LCROSS.jpg

Andrew Brown.

B

baldyspate

Sorry.
Lack of patience and frustration.
I've watched for information from the study of the data. After the initial report of water in the plume there
has been no science that I can find.
My comment about the NASA webpage isn't out of line though, I don't believe. Those taxpayers who
support the efforts of the teams involved directly in the exploration of space deserve some gratification
by way of being "kept in the know" as much as possible. I believe neither that the science of the
data returned is finished nor that there isn't interesting information for the public already to be had.
As I said, "It's been months". The last post on NASA's site/page: "news/events " was the fascinating
public information event on Nov. 13,......LAST YEAR..... Then it's as if a cable were cut.
If a new website or portal is available on what's been learned, please let me know.

M

MeteorWayne

Again, real science takes time, if you want instant results, that's what video games are for :(

B

baldyspate

No personal disrespect, truly, but...
It sounds as if you are telling me that nothing worth sharing
has been learned in 7 months, or that if it has, I have no business
wondering why it hasn't been shared.

M

MeteorWayne

No, what I am telling you is that you have no idea how real science works. Things don't happen is days or weeks. Real analysis takes months or years. If you can't accept that, then please stop paying attention until the results come out down the time road.

And yes, the point is that nothing worth sharing has been learned in 7 months. If it had been, it would have been released. When it has been, it will be released.
I know, the real world is a pain sometimes.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts