Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
life on earth evolved as per the doctrine and suitable to meet the acceleration due to gravity which stands at 9.8 m/s2 (second squared) ... this much gravitational pull suffices to hold and nurture an atmosphere which is conducive to life over some millions of years of evolution ...

life on, now turning to, moon? mars? venus? jupiter? saturn? and other planets?

while all these planets before jupiter are small and acceleration due to gravity being equal to or less than 9.8 units, jupiter onward it tends to be and is much greater. it is said that a man who walks about on earth easily can jump on the moon 3 times higher while can hardly stand on jupiter not to speak of walking!

if we were to go and plan for a settlement there on jupiter as in let us say a fantasy ... would it be fine or what does it look like? be it in reference to the atmosphere there, be it in reference to the acceleration due to gravity of jupiter?

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Akashrao,

If you say a fantasy, then this should be moved to the sci-fi corner or SETI. I think that Europa is a good place for settlement. According to the Inverse Square Law, Europa gets 1/100th of the total magnetosphere of Jupiter. That is enough to fight solar winds. Europa has got a tenous oxygen atmosphere. Maybe, in the future we would have enough technology to terraform it. And, we also do not know about any extraterrestrial life form that might exist under the surface of Europa, in the huge ocean. Thus, we have got water.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Re: Europa

"Observations with the Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph of the Hubble Space Telescope, first described in 1995, revealed that Europa has a thin atmosphere composed mostly of molecular oxygen (O2), and some water vapor. The surface pressure of Europa's atmosphere is 0.1 μPa, or 10−12 times that of the Earth."

That is the atmospheric pressure, an indication of a body to sustain an atmosphere, is 1 / 1,000,000,000,000 th that or our atmosphere here on Earth.

I think you would call that a vacuum if you tried breathing it.
Terraforming is out of the question, although there is no reason why one could eventually create caves or domes. Pretty cold though.

Catastrophe

life on earth evolved as per the doctrine and suitable to meet the acceleration due to gravity which stands at 9.8 m/s2 (second squared) ... this much gravitational pull suffices to hold and nurture an atmosphere which is conducive to life over some millions of years of evolution ...

life on, now turning to, moon? mars? venus? jupiter? saturn? and other planets?

while all these planets before jupiter are small and acceleration due to gravity being equal to or less than 9.8 units, jupiter onward it tends to be and is much greater. it is said that a man who walks about on earth easily can jump on the moon 3 times higher while can hardly stand on jupiter not to speak of walking!

if we were to go and plan for a settlement there on jupiter as in let us say a fantasy ... would it be fine or what does it look like? be it in reference to the atmosphere there, be it in reference to the acceleration due to gravity of jupiter?
"life on earth evolved as per the doctrine and suitable to meet the acceleration due to gravity which stands at 9.8 m/s2 (second squared)"

Of course this has some small effect - there are much more important factors affecting life on Earth. What have I not understood?

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Some hypothesises are that Jupiter lost the moons to the sun and became the inner planets that we live on right now. Jupiter rolls true and in a solar year had built up an erroneous spin brining it closer to the sun which took over creating heat and Jupiter lost moons which become our world. in the future we will go to Jupiter in ways beyond most of us can imagine to prove things.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
the best thing we can do right now is create a telescope at least 100m to 200 metres long to get better pictures ,if I had my way I would build one at least 500 metres long and believe me I could go longer, but we need bigger telescopes if we ever want to see things better in space , to be able to answer the questions that we have about other planets. whether we go to these planets or not may depend upon what we see.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

The surface of Jupiter is gas. Life as we know it will not exist there.
That should close this thread. If you want to talk about Jupiter's satellites then respond to an existing one or start a new one.

Catastrophe

life may exist everywhere unit it is proven life does not exist and we should direct ourselves to a safe travel when moving around.
You cannot prove a negative.
Life must certainly exist. Take this Solar System, one of billions of stars in this galaxy, this galaxy one of billions etc. . . . . . . . . .
Sadly, we may never meet advanced life, nor they each other - especially with the expansion of the Universe (unless it is only shortening of our measuring sticks).
Maybe more than one planet in the Goldilocks Zone: maybe double stars with Goldilocks planets close enough together. Maybe some hope - unless like humans they start killing each other.

Anyway, these generalities are not proven to the Jupiter system.
Go on - tell me - you cannot prove a negative!

Cat :)

May 8, 2020
Visit site
life is originals only and creation makes all things. matter and energy that form life is as diverse as matter and energy itself, every reaction , gravities. every particles is slightly different. the term used is not relevant to the truth about life. all you need is a more reactive based. we are carbon it is not that reactive however like batteries carbon batteries were used. if anything was further out it would just of evolved into what is needed for the environment to which would sustain life. such examples could be lithium, able to store more energy.
if I say there is life on Jupiter it is because I can feel there is life there under the great seas large sea creatures swim around and one day we will prove it. but as to intelligent life I would say again the possibility is extremely high as life tends to grow everywhere. most of the time it is just that time. 6 billion years in the universe is nothing. if you were more advanced and could see the planets down to the land and knew what would you be thinking , interfere or stand back and just watch the cute little creatures building things and trying to understand what is already known.
t

Catastrophe

life is originals only and creation makes all things. matter and energy that form life is as diverse as matter and energy itself, every reaction , gravities. every particles is slightly different. the term used is not relevant to the truth about life. all you need is a more reactive based. we are carbon it is not that reactive however like batteries carbon batteries were used. if anything was further out it would just of evolved into what is needed for the environment to which would sustain life. such examples could be lithium, able to store more energy.
if I say there is life on Jupiter it is because I can feel there is life there under the great seas large sea creatures swim around and one day we will prove it. but as to intelligent life I would say again the possibility is extremely high as life tends to grow everywhere. most of the time it is just that time. 6 billion years in the universe is nothing. if you were more advanced and could see the planets down to the land and knew what would you be thinking , interfere or stand back and just watch the cute little creatures building things and trying to understand what is already known.
t
"if I say there is life on Jupiter it is because I can feel there is life there"
Please let me know when you can feel you have the Lotto numbers ;)

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
right
this thread has reached a logical conclusion / inconclusivity for the time being saying that jupiter is inhabitable for the moment ...
the question about moons of jupiter would be looked into later ...

Catastrophe

yes i do ...
i thought along these lines - habitable, inhabitable ...
my english is a bit ...
I agree IN- is sometimes meaning NON or negative,
As INept. ept is not a common word, but the dictionary says “ept” means adroit, appropriate, or effective. Inept is the opposite.
I think inhabit comes from habitation, so inhabit means live in a habitation. On checking:
(of a person, animal, or group) live in or occupy (a place or environment).
"a bird that inhabits North America"

I would say your English is . . . a bit very good. :)

May 1, 2020
Visit site
I think the chances of life existing on Jupiter is pretty remote, but not impossible .But as for the moons of Jupiter that's totally diferent ,its more than likely life of some sort lurkes on at least one of the moons if not more ,if this life is intelligent or not is another matter only time will tell untill we one day get there.

Catastrophe

"I think the chances of life existing on Jupiter is pretty remote, but not impossible ."

I would say impossible for life as we know it.

"But as for the moons of Jupiter that's totally diferent ,its more than likely life of some sort lurkes on at least one of the moons if not more ,if this life is intelligent or not is another matter only time will tell untill we one day get there."

There are a handful of moons with interesting water below the surface and heating mechanisms other than Solar Radiation. Life, not impossible. Intelligence - not as we know it.

Latest posts