Looking at Saturn and Jupiter on 9/12/2021

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
I saw Saturn through my tiny cheap SAGA Zoom Cassegrain Spotting Scope MC25-75×70 on Sept 12, 2021. Saturn always blows my mind. Looks about this size: (o) and Jupiter too with Callisto, Gan, Europa, Jupiter than Io. Jupiter looked like O or a little larger but could barely make out the bands. Too bright. But don't want to make hole in my lens cover to knock it down. The moon was nice too but lots of turbulence. Does anyone know if I attach a phone camera, will it capture image of Saturn. Does do the moon. Will have to try next nice night.
(
View: https://youtu.be/rvq4xpwCzyo
This video at about 2.53 shows my scope under a different brand name. Cheap but fine for occassional starhopping. I attached a red dot scope to make it easy to navigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dratonia
Looks like your objective is 70 mm. Try cutting a piece of cardboard to the same size with a hole centered about half that leaving tabs around it so you can fasten it to the scope with a rubber band. This will effectively make it a smaller scope. A couple of different hole sizes should do for Jupiter, the full Moon, and quarter moon. The hole needs to be larger than your secondary mirror. Or two smaller holes one on either side may work better in some cases. Experiment!

I’ve heard that phone cameras work for photos and videos, don’t expect great quality, Haven’t tried it myself. I think they may even make adapters to attach the phone to the scope. Then you could Bluetooth it to a computer.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Looks like your objective is 70 mm. Try cutting a piece of cardboard to the same size with a hole centered about half that leaving tabs around it so you can fasten it to the scope with a rubber band. This will effectively make it a smaller scope. A couple of different hole sizes should do for Jupiter, the full Moon, and quarter moon. The hole needs to be larger than your secondary mirror. Or two smaller holes one on either side may work better in some cases. Experiment!

I’ve heard that phone cameras work for photos and videos, don’t expect great quality, Haven’t tried it myself. I think they may even make adapters to attach the phone to the scope. Then you could Bluetooth it to a computer.
Hi. Thanks for suggestion. I made one to try out soon out of cardboard and epp foam. Will post how well it works.
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33461807@N05/51478210711/in/dateposted-public/

Reactions: Dratonia and Pogo
Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Shot this picture of moon last night. Had to up the contrast in PhotoScape. But it has these black dot artifacts in the original photo - don't know where they came from. Dirty lens?

Probably not so much on the scope objective, but, maybe in the eyepiece, or maybe more likely the phone camera lens. They’re really small and the tiniest dust can show up. If that doesn’t seem to be it, try a different eyepiece, or taking a pic without an eyepiece (primary focus), or a different phone. Then you could isolate the problem.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Probably not so much on the scope objective, but, maybe in the eyepiece, or maybe more likely the phone camera lens. They’re really small and the tiniest dust can show up. If that doesn’t seem to be it, try a different eyepiece, or taking a pic without an eyepiece (primary focus), or a different phone. Then you could isolate the problem.
Thanks, I will check it out and try again. The telescope eyepiece is definitely smeared so will clean that up. My wife sticking her eye into the eyepiece.

Not bad at all for a cellphone video. I notice a bit of chromatic aberration (the orange and blue blooms on opposite sides). I imagine that’s the phone optics rather than the scope. Looks good.