Lorentz force propeller

Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Hi. While browsing for Space propulsion, I,ve found the following article :

More specific :

As shown in Figure 2, the conductor I0 gets through the coil L0, and they are fixed together and form a system. a is the main view and b is the left view. When there are time varying currents flowing through the conductor I0 and the coil L0 respectively, the moving electrically charged particles in the conductor I0 are located in the magnetic field generated by the coil L0 and their direc-tions are unparallel. The conductor I0 will be subjected to two Lorentz forces. One is the acting force that the cur- Figure 2. The operating principle of Lorentz Force Propel-ler rent-carrying conductor is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the current and the other is the acting force that it is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the induced electric field. For the above-mentioned system, the former acting force is an internal force of the system. Its reacting force is the Lorentz force that the coil wind-ing is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the current-carrying conductor. Since the conductor I0 and the coil L0 are fixed together, the couple of acting force and reacting force can’t make any relative movement between the conductor I0 and the coil L0. So the relative position between them is also unchanged. The latter act-ing force is an external force of the system and it hasn’t any reacting force.

When the current-carrying conductor I0 moves under the action of the force, the coil L0 will be driven and move together with the conductor. Therefore, the system achieves propulsion.

Do you think it is true. Thank you.

No, it is not true that a reactionless drive can work.

Here is his explanation:
"The carrier of the moving electrically charged particles and the device generating the changing electric field are fixed together to form a system. When the moving electrically charged particles under the action of the Lorentz force in the radiation magnetic field, the system achieves propulsion."

He posits a self contained propulsion mechanism whereby an electric field is generated and then reacted upon by a changing magnetic field in order to create thrust. What he is ignoring is the reaction force of the electric field generator upon the system. The two forces exactly cancel each other thus no propulsion can exist.

Were he correct, in the intervening 14 years he would have been awarded a Nobel Prize, every spaceship today would be propelled by it and we could buy Jing Zhu levitating chairs at any Walmart.

Latest posts