Lowell gets OK to add $30 million telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tfwthom

Going in just down the road from my clubs darksite.<br /><br />Lowell gets OK to add $30 million telescope <br /><br />Associated Press<br />Oct. 18, 2004 12:00 AM <br /><br />FLAGSTAFF - Lowell Observatory has received approval to build a $30 million telescope that will have the widest field of any of the world's operating telescopes.<br /><br />The Discovery Channel Telescope will be the fifth-largest telescope in the world.<br /><br />Coconino National Forest Supervisor Nora Rasure on Wednesday approved the telescope, which will be near the former Happy Jack Ranger Station. <br /><br />"This is an exceptional and unique site for a new observatory, and we're happy to be involved with it," said Larry Sears, district ranger for the Mogollon Rim Ranger District, where the telescope will be located.<br /><br />No negative comments were received when officials were deciding whether to issue a special-use permit for the telescope, said Karen Malis-Clark, a spokeswoman for Coconino National Forest.<br /><br />Lowell Observatory Director Bob Millis said he expects groundbreaking to occur next spring or early summer.<br /><br />The telescope is being built in a partnership with cable company Discovery Communications. The television station will chart the progress of the telescope's construction and report on its discoveries. Lowell has raised about half the money required for the telescope, with $10 million coming from Discovery and $1 million coming from Discover founder John Hendricks. The observatory is trying to partner with other institutions for the remainder. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

newtonian

TFWThom - That's a beautiful area.<br /><br />Is that southwest of the southwest corner of the Navajo Reservation?<br /><br />I located a 'town' of Happy Jack southeast of Flag., in the Coconino National Forest, NNE of 7500' Buck Mountain, and SSW of the Kinnikinick Lake Campsite, in the Mogollon Plateau.<br /><br />That would also be southwest of famous Meteor Crater.<br /><br />Have I got the right area?<br /><br />You weren't referring to the Grand Canyon rim area, were you?

T

tfwthom

Sorry I was in Vegas last week so I haven't been on-line. (Got with NEVERS one night for dinner)<br /><br />From the people I've talked to from Lowell the land the scope is going in on is an old cinder mine. The mine was there before the land was taken over by the Coconino National Forest. That's why there wasn't any objections to build on the land, mining usually leaves waste that is better covered over anyway. <br /><br />Happy Jack is just a bump on Lake Mary Road moving South East from Flagstaff, it's going to be down the road from Lowell's Anderson Mesa Research Site. I haven't found the old mine on the map yet but Happy Jack is a couple miles from our Stoneman Lake dark site. (See map on our clubs website www.siriuslookers.org Events Page) Our site is at about 7600ASL and totally dark. (see http://www.esabogal.com/~cleardar/lp/StnmnLkAZlp.html ) so they should have some great views.<br /><br />We usually get private tours of Lowells toys from our sister club in Flagstaff so I can't wait to see it being built <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

newtonian

TFWThom - Yes, I am living in a dark area - not that dark, though! When the humidity drops the sky here is awesome! [rural SE Louisiana]<br /><br />I visited Sedona a few times when I was staying in the Hopi Reservation which is surrounded by the Navajo Reservation.<br /><br />Sedona is beautiful! It reminded me of New Hampshire and Vermont mountain areas with their rocky rapids, etc.<br /><br />Can you imagine how dark it was in Bible times? Looking up must have truly been amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts