Lunar Lander: 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radarredux

NASA Selects Team to Build Lunar Lander<br />http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=17928<br /><br />"<i>The lander is tentatively planned for launch as early as 2010. It will demonstrate the ability for precision landings at targeted locations on the moon; evaluate landing zone environment; and determine if lunar resources can support a sustained human presence.</i>"

N

nacnud

Ah this is a robotic lander, I was initialy thinking this refered to tha manned version.

N

nacnud

Well I'm assuming that they will start with the MER designs or manybe the Mars Science Laboratory sutably adapted to the Moon of course.

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">Well I'm assuming that they will start with the MER designs</font>/i><br /><br />The description is pretty vague. The goals include "<i>precision landings</i>" which sounds like like maybe just a lander.<br /><br />Another interesting aspect: "<i>determine whether there is water-ice in the permanently dark areas within craters</i>". If the lander descends into these dark areas, solar panels will not do much good.<br /><br />I hope the landers are inexpensive enough that they can send them to numerous locations -- including locations that may not be scientifically interesting but visually interesting. For example, with the information from LRO, NASA should be able to identify a location that would show an image of the Earth rising over a mountain range. If the Lunar mountains are sufficiently far away, the Earth will look relatively large. Then the lander could use a telephoto lens with a hi-def camera to create a stunning image of a large multi-colored Earth rising from behind stark Lunar mountains.</i>

N

nacnud

Well I think the MSL is powered by RTG so should be fine in a cold polar crater. I think that there is a need for a number of this class rovers. A few on Mars, a some more on the Moon and if it can move fast enough maybe the night side of Mercury or maybe a Jovian moon. The last one might need a dedicated HLLV launch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts