m81, m82....help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jadibartolomeo

<p>i have a celestron nexstar 8" se, so i know the capabilities of my scope from other objects i've seen, but i just can't seem to find the m81/m82 combo, or either one individually!!!</p><p>&nbsp;i'm almost certain i found the coddington nebula (which is a mag. 10!!!) but i can't find the damned m81/m82 galaxies...any suggestions?&nbsp; i scanned the whole swath of sky encompassing probably +/-&nbsp;5 degrees north, south, east, and west of where i think they "should" be.</p><p>&nbsp;i'm using the method of hopping from ursa major y to ursa major a, then following the same distance to m81/m82 while veering a bit north.</p><p>&nbsp;help!&nbsp; this is frustrating :)</p>

N

nimbus

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>i have a celestron nexstar 8" se, so i know the capabilities of my scope from other objects i've seen, but i just can't seem to find the m81/m82 combo, or either one individually!!!&nbsp;i'm almost certain i found the coddington nebula (which is a mag. 10!!!) but i can't find the damned m81/m82 galaxies...any suggestions?&nbsp; i scanned the whole swath of sky encompassing probably +/-&nbsp;5 degrees north, south, east, and west of where i think they "should" be.&nbsp;i'm using the method of hopping from ursa major y to ursa major a, then following the same distance to m81/m82 while veering a bit north.&nbsp;help!&nbsp; this is frustrating :) <br /> Posted by jadibartolomeo</DIV><br />I have no real experience with scopes, but in your situation, I'd open up a sky mapping software and set it to present time, and compare back and forth what I see in the scope and on the computer screen. &nbsp;Once sure the scope is pointed exactly where 81 and 82 are, I'd play with any and all knobs and switches, till something starts making sense...</p><p>Are&nbsp;you&nbsp;sure&nbsp;it's&nbsp;not&nbsp;a&nbsp;cloud&nbsp;far&nbsp;off&nbsp;in&nbsp;the&nbsp;sky&nbsp;that&nbsp;hid&nbsp;what&nbsp;you&nbsp;were&nbsp;looking&nbsp;for?&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>i have a celestron nexstar 8" se, so i know the capabilities of my scope from other objects i've seen, but i just can't seem to find the m81/m82 combo, or either one individually!!!&nbsp;i'm almost certain i found the coddington nebula (which is a mag. 10!!!) but i can't find the damned m81/m82 galaxies...any suggestions?&nbsp; i scanned the whole swath of sky encompassing probably +/-&nbsp;5 degrees north, south, east, and west of where i think they "should" be.&nbsp;i'm using the method of hopping from ursa major y to ursa major a, then following the same distance to m81/m82 while veering a bit north.&nbsp;help!&nbsp; this is frustrating :) <br />Posted by jadibartolomeo</DIV><br /><br />LOL! I've been looking for Bode's nebula for more than 1 hour today and no luck :(. I would still be&nbsp;out in my front yard but i saw a&nbsp;skunk&nbsp;near one of my bushes so&nbsp;I ran inside.&nbsp;How was the Coddington nebula? Which magnification did you use and was it very visible? I've been trying the same methods as you however my telescope is a 4.5" which&nbsp;lowers my chances&nbsp;of seeing those objects by alot compared to you xD. Do you think i'll be able to see Bode's Nebula? Also, I've been lookin for Global Cluster M3 but had no luck so far.. do you think my telescope has the range of seeing that? Where are you viewing from?&nbsp;If you really saw the Coddington Nebula you really cant be far!!!</p><p>Good Luck man!</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>LOL! I've been looking for Bode's nebula for more than 1 hour today and no luck :(. I would still be&nbsp;out in my front yard but i saw a&nbsp;skunk&nbsp;near one of my bushes so&nbsp;I ran inside.&nbsp;How was the Coddington nebula? Which magnification did you use and was it very visible? I've been trying the same methods as you however my telescope is a 4.5" which&nbsp;lowers my chances&nbsp;of seeing those objects by alot compared to you xD. Do you think i'll be able to see Bode's Nebula? Also, I've been lookin for Global Cluster M3 but had no luck so far.. do you think my telescope has the range of seeing that? Where are you viewing from?&nbsp;If you really saw the Coddington Nebula you really cant be far!!!Good Luck man! <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />No need to be afraid of skunks. Just don't piss 'em off! I've had them brush my hands while out meteor observing. I just say hello and they move on, they're not interested in you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No need to be afraid of skunks. Just don't piss 'em off! I've had them brush my hands while out meteor observing. I just say hello and they move on, they're not interested in you. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Oh wow, I've been afraid of going in my backyard for a week now just because there was a skunk around (smelt like it sprayed a couple of animals or things). Now I wont really care haha, thanks dude. I have one question, with a Celestron 4.5" reflector which Messier objects are in my range? I've seen M42 (orion neb), M45 (pleiades), M44 (open cluster) and probably a few other star clusters.</p><p>Thanks :)</p>

J

jadibartolomeo

<p>i was using a 25mm eyepiece, which gives me a magnification of 80.&nbsp; when i went to a 15mm eyepiece, it wasn't as clear.&nbsp; generally, less magnification yields better results on DSOs.</p>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oh wow, I've been afraid of going in my backyard for a week now just because there was a skunk around (smelt like it sprayed a couple of animals or things). Now I wont really care haha, thanks dude. I have one question, with a Celestron 4.5" reflector which Messier objects are in my range? I've seen M42 (orion neb), M45 (pleiades), M44 (open cluster) and probably a few other star clusters.Thanks :) <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>I also have a 4.5", Its a Meade DS-2114. I have never seen ANY nebulas,galaxy's etc.. Although I havent had much of a chance lately to look. I was just wondering How does it all look to you when you do see them through the 4.5"? Can you clearly make out the galaxy's nebulas? Do you see a good amount of "color" in the nebulas? and which do you recommend for best viewing through a 4.5"? Thanks alot.</p><p>&nbsp;-Cassini<br /></p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I also have a 4.5", Its a Meade DS-2114. I have never seen ANY nebulas,galaxy's etc.. Although I havent had much of a chance lately to look. I was just wondering How does it all look to you when you do see them through the 4.5"? Can you clearly make out the galaxy's nebulas? Do you see a good amount of "color" in the nebulas? and which do you recommend for best viewing through a 4.5"? Thanks alot.&nbsp;-Cassini <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Well so far I've only seen the Orion Nebula (M42), the rest were open star clusters. No, you will no color what so ever, maybe a green tint (as i've heard but I don't know why). For color,&nbsp;I&nbsp;believe you need a scope with&nbsp;alot of light gathering (not exactly sure).&nbsp;You will however, see what looks a dusty cloud which has some stars around and inside. This doesn't seem too great, but when you find it, it is pretty amazing. I saw this from my frontyard, backyard, and park area. I recommend maybe&nbsp;going to a really dark area such&nbsp;as a country road, you won't believe&nbsp;how many more stars you can see!&nbsp;I was reading on Sky and Telescope that if you have a very dark sky, you will be able to see two wing shaped figues coming from the middle of M42. Also, i usually use 50X to find DSO's but you should be using a bit less, (more FOV) but i only have 3 eyepieces which are 50 and higher. I usually switch to&nbsp;100X after i center it and everything because I see more and more stars inside the nebula. I'm also wondering what I can see with a 4.5", someone please reply haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts