Magnetized Link Lattice for Space Elevator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sftommy

Seems with the current materials limits that such a lattice could be powered from obit by solar panels, each link monitored and given the appropriate energy to generate a magnetic filed capable of withstanding the crushing pressures, the whole contraption would rest upon the magnetic fields of each link. Might even be such a tether built on the micro level that could act as an elevator cable?

M

MeteorWayne

What is a magnetized link lattice? Perhaps you could explain the concept instead of just throwing out a bunch of words?

E

exoscientist

MeteorWayne":2axta8qa said:
What is a magnetized link lattice? Perhaps you could explain the concept instead of just throwing out a bunch of words?

I think I know what he means, but I think it would be more easily visualized with a space tower rather than a space elevator.
With the space tower reaching up hundreds of kilometers or even the 36,000 km to GEO, the pressure is so great the tower has to tapered to not collapse under its own weight.
But suppose you were able to partially or entirely cancel out the weight by magnetic levitation? I think the levitation would have to by electromagnetic rather than permanent magnets, because the permanent magnets would be so heavy as to still not be able to support itself.
So the question is how much power would be required, which would be supplied from the ground, to support this tower to, say, 100 km? To 36,000 km?

Bob Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts