manned 2050-2065 alpha centaury mission

I've figured out some nanotechnologies. I have to model them and build them and figure out more. I'll send manned ships to the Alpha Centauri system. Hoping a for 20x20x20metre interior. Ice is lasered and lifted to assembly "area" near Triton. I won't have metal folding technology by then, but I do hope to be able to make origami out of sheets of metals. The bulk of the ship can be thought of as a cube of ice with nested onion layers (5000000 ideally) of metal pancaking refrozen ice sheets. The is R+D regarding sapphire-ice combos and intertwining maybe I'll do beforehand or on mission. This is 500x900x700m. An advanced materials spaghetti strings structural membrane 2ft think coats the ice and goes inside it a foot sometimes. It is allotropes chosen at fine 80nm scale to dampen force one way or vibrations or to be hit by meteorites. 10m total thickness of carbon allotrope (simple) blankets envelope this, and coating it is a reusable gatorade bottle 980x550x1.3km (IDK the outer dimensions well) big and 10m thick. Many ways of accessorizing the outer shell for varying space and mission conditions. The AC system should fling out planets and moons regularly along with capturing some. It would be nice to find one somewhere. We will need fuel and materials depots on route. I can make ion engine probes but don't know performance. The ship will be VASIMR. Science payloads are wanted along the beginning of the Heliopause and on the deep space side.
The real target is within a LY of Alpha Centauri's Oort. Dog A is not likely medically safe. The interaction between the waves of both stars, maybe 1.8 LY from Sol, is a more realisitc target. 0.4c is eventually doable maybe, and .18c should be minimum top speed. There will be ice moons. A nano controlled ethane burner should enable GMO-fish and rods. Skating. Skiing. Frisbee. Discus. Melts a pool to pilot a sub is maybe time-trouble. a million lasers or more will shine out in front of the ship. Hoping for Nitrogen atmosphere. Able to smoke and drink. I'll have an extensive medical kit one year. I'll try to cure nausea in at least most of 4 brain parts.
Manufacturing includes moderately clssified nanoweavers 80nm wide. A mildly classified laser nanostamper 3 microns wide. All on a sapphire base. And a piece of crap nanostamper with a piezo arm, mostly for interior ship parts. I'll also have secret micron assemblers that can eventually make themselves. They could be misused to blot out the Sun or mass produce WWI WMDs. I'm hoping to add some metal folding skill into the self-rescue kit. In theory, it should be able make emergency ships at the other end of the trip if there is aluminum and other stuff raw. Quantum systems won't work well when time dilation becomes a factor.
Alot of invention is finding applications. The nanotech isn't really strong in a sci-fi science, but it saved payload space. a Triton mine will need to have been in service and materials processing already. You don't need to think weaponry as a reflex and then you are forced to use your noodle and think of harder q-of-l questions. I'd show EM the classified stuff because his motivation is psychological most like mine, so I understand there isn't a security risk. I can't contribute as an artist but this mission should create positive societal effects. I intend to leave weak versions of the micron assemblers behind. Drug manufacturing (I might speak w/gvmt staff personally) need tougher sapphire; it doesn't ring at lower speeds thus suiting the glass-like surface flow of drug products. maybe 30% the cost of 2021 drugs. I've never been in the top 1000 re manned-ship design.

What about Andromeda?
Even 3 stars is too risky but I think it is important for cultural and Q-of-L reasons. Consider a micron sapphire block manufacturing system making 55% of its parts. It is maybe enough to get a manufacturing advantage over A.C.. There are other such weapons even before a GUT, and we can't have any doubt about which way to go if we learn GUT engineering implications. Which planets/stars and at which waypoints do we place such technology?
When I grew up, people used to talk to eachother and formed relationships based on Rob Roy overlaying inferior celtic subconsciouses. To not be irritable in a space future, I think we need enough space to make 100-1000 aliens and have the celtic culture re-emerge between 3 systems.
This ship should make it from Triton to the Heliopause. If Rob Roy was still the culture, I wouldn't feel the need to unleash a nanotech singularity. Which has happened this year. Some medical advances risk synthetic biology, but mostly minor toxicity is the issue. Space is always amenable to nanotech. 3 stars maximizes the full economic use of the singularity. We will stop being lazy realizing we have real diplomats to impress and real 3 system risks to contend with. Andromeda requires some radical technologies. Anti-matter is maybe the start of a probe. I can see we can't hit .8c while AI hits .95c. Sensors should be enough to move metals towards radiation in 2.9 secs, to AC.. But how to can the AI risk all the way to Andromeda?

I've forward chained it from now. Payload to Triton is the issue. I was was in the top ten re: Lunar Impact Brecchia. We won't be there in two decades to easily mine them. We would need to fluke out capturing a good nearby temporary satellite into the Cis-Lunar system. The terminator, moon quakes from collapses and meteor impacts, bright sunlight, and lunar dust all weather the deposits. We have to go Enceladus or a similar target. Enc.'s ice provides radiation shielding and offers some impactor shielding for sub-surface operations.
Much as a top mining engineer knows to use GPRadar to image the gravelly deposits below a sedimentary chunk of rock, looking for gaps between the chunk and the start of main granite formations, to look for gold...we will find ore-rich bodies at the bottom of Enceladus's slush. And at the bottom of ponds. We will use lasers to melt to them, and drag them to our subsurface warehouse. The rings are also steal-able for propellant. My VASIMR stamping won't be ready yet. I (from Earth) will bank ion engines capable of using multiple propellant types, and go to Saturn. From Saturn, the VASIMR ships and infrastructure needed for the Triton base will be manufactured. You will also have the ability to use the Triton strategy to distribute ices and melted ore throughout the inner solar system and man some gas stations. If I can't find sapphire near Saturn, we are stuck with carbon as a hull to Neptune. I will make ice-sapphire hulls work built with Triton assets.
Ice to the ineer and maybe some solar power stores batteries sent towards outer. Ethane on Triton. Aquariums will be made everywhere with GMO life. Birds with weights can fly in Ganymede or Callisto. The Victorian spirit can be recaptured...if we need aliens, make them. If we want a new Darwin and Cook mission, we make zoos and are often visitable. Love for someone who wants the world better, even if they die in space, is a bit better a motivation than is altruism. Altruism might've worn me out in decades whereas a week of love keeps me good for a few centuries. The Clooneys should be fine for Neptune, but to go farther the McConnaughy ethic is needed. I don't want to waste much time with neurology; Adrian from Rocky needed a dream a healthy working class or something for it to be an ethical romance. This is where NASA needs help.
I can figure nanoweaving before my modelling gets good and I should be able to dumb down my technologies to give to people not in a future EM C-of-C. I won't make much AI for modelling and won't do it the slow hand-drawn way of improving pattern matching. I'll use algorithms much as computer animation can happen with circular functions and lines. I'll get good at this en route to the heliopause.

I hope to get the ordering right at least, hoepfully having gleaned enough details from each of the fields for one to insert their own year X-ers.
The (2028) nanoknitting is having trouble because clumping CNTs, a CNT forest paper has advanced (2032) machine learning, the AI idea is to find correlations among what makes good CNT mats. The (2220) metal folding is magic, it would stop an asteroid hit and maybe 100m away from a ship shield some radiation. There are hail-sized papers for (2003) sapphire-ice interfaces, I'm hoping it can be scaled up with (2055) space manufacturing. (2050) Sapphire stamping is similar to R.Freitas's diamond papers. I found diamond restructures its surface hydrogen and carbon atoms. Sapphire has amorphous boundaries a bit like amorphous carbon. I want to use that as mortar so to speak, to make (2065) sapphire machine shop equipment just barely visible. It would maybe be used now for (2025) jewellery and lasers. The main kink is it needs a better (2048) piezo-crystal or some other micron-technology (2055 laser tweezers?) to move it reliably. A nanobubble (2031) is inevitable (like IT/media/microbiology) hoepfully funding the piezo.
The allotrope spaghetti is speculative for 100 years. Small amounts for body armor will be made by 2050. Nanograpes will impart vibrations from touching, to eachother. Any hydrogen bonding might ruin the armor...with enough volume to move to, most of the grapes should last for every day security use in 20 years, but allotrope morphologies have stalled due to electric car research (which has helped in other ways). I will use 1-12 CNTs deposited perpendicularly on rods that I will move to make knots, and work towards the grapes as allotrope R+D grows. I'm hoping the ice-sapphire nucleation R+D ports here.
Finding sapphire isn't certain. I don't think Alu. is enough. NASA would use titanium (2120). Russia will be good at the outer planets (1960). I consider lasers easy enough for anyone in space who can figure out an energy source in a decade maybe. Many types are advancing. In space you need to cut sun blot attacks (2030). Powerbeaming may be big in space and it won't be me (2045). Finding anti-matter is wanted by NASA (2060), and BHs are feared (2080). NASA will look for signatures of their interaction with the heliopause, when they have a reason to go/probe that far. VASIMR stamping is speculative but one of the ways to find a room temperature superconductor is use pressure or heat to make a more solid material with new quantum properties. I'm applying that shot in the dark to magnetic nanotechnology, call it 2100 without algorithm help. I'll await NASA/ESA enceladus mission details to comment a Triton timeline. With the car factories, VASIMR to near Jupiter could be launched by 2016 Obama, now.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
manned 2050-2065 alpha centaury mission My emphasis.

Please advise if I have missed something, but I cannot see how long you expect this trip to last, and, if it is not one way only, how to accelerate and decelerate.

Cat :)

To Alpha's Oort Cloud, I expect a 25 yr mission (one way) gets you 3 seconds warning before some very fast natural phenomena, impacts you. For a 20 yr mission, 2 seconds warning. I wouldn't think ion engine probes ahead of you can go faster than .25c, giving you a warning. You could even kamikaze .6c on the way back; minor asteroid collision events with the hull might turn into major ones. If there are useful Ceres and Makemake objects en route. we can slow down to extract them and set up for the next missions and local R+D instead of going right for the flag. Using more of the ship's mass for VASIMR systems and less for propellant is the upside of a string of stations en route. You might even be rendevous-ed without slowing down much. Better objects en route increase the odds you make them the primary mission goal to set up a more successful Armstrong moment later.
Things like cosmic strings and pulsars and BHs and magnetic and ion and dust and active plasma wave fronts and interactions will spring radiation and matter faster upon us than we expect as standing waves we don't yet understand will be created everywhere and accelerated fast. Particle showers will black out our computers and we won't be able to navigate without computers with c a factor. For this reason I will have algorithms working on whatever isn't ready as launch date nears, so it can be implemented at the last minute or researched en route.
I'm hoping for a good ice moon 1/2 way thus a 12 year mission. Maybe 2 of those years decelerating with VASIMR banks by turning around as turning them on. It is a one way mission without the secret algorithms which can make an even better ship to return to Earth with. Otherwise, might as well wait and pick a base spot for the next mission to meet you at. With nanotech, my in situ manufacturing fits in a office, maybe answers the question: is a string of stations assumed or maybe just a heliopause gas depot?

Latest posts