Manned Mission to Another Star

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>..then it makes sense to me that hibernation for six months would be even worse on bones, muscle, etc.<br /><br />Kind of like bed ridden patients who loose a good deal of muscle mass when confined to beds for extended periods.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Those deteriorations are themselves biological processes tied implicitly to circulation & general metabolism. Slow/stop circulation & metabolism and all else slows with them. Calcium in the bone can't go <i>anywhere</i> without circulation to carry it away and excretion to eliminate it. Muscle cells are likewise in semi-stasis, especially if hydrogen sulfide stops their metabolism. <br /><br />Basically, you're a meat Popsicle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.