March Full Moon 2020: Catch the 'Worm Moon' and the first supermoon of the year on Monday

The full moon of March, called the Worm Moon, occurs March 9 at 1:48 p.m. EDT (1748 GMT). It will be the first "supermoon" of 2020.

March Full Moon 2020: Catch the 'Worm Moon' and the first supermoon of the year on Monday : Read more

"Venus meets up with Uranus"

Yes indeed, Venus and Uranus meet up and last night I observed both of them using binoculars in the field of view and my telescope (separately), shortly after 1900 until after 2000 EDT (7:00 PM - 8:00 PM for civilians). That waxing gibbous Moon was 'a bad Moon a-rising' behind me in the east sky while I viewed facing west. I viewed from a horse pasture where there are no lights around and another larger field to my east. That Moon lit up the fields and woods all around me bathing me in moonlight near 2000 EDT. I viewed both planets at 129x and 200x. I could resolve Uranus as a small, bluish-green disk and Venus, much larger and brighter, just about half-moon phase shape with hint of cloud bands. Star charts created using Starry Night as well as Stellarium before observing, planning my session. The Telrad on my telescope made it easy to pin point Uranus, placing the planet right in the eyepiece field of view. I located Uranus at 129x near 1951 EDT and by 2000 EDT, I could see Venus and Uranus using the 10x50 binoculars. Sunset at my location near 1908 EDT last night.

Latest posts