Mars Mission Astronaut Boredom During Travel

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qso1

TANSTAAFL76:<br />In terms of a pilot, I would imagine the landing will be largely computer controlled.<br /><br />Me:<br />Thats pretty much what I would expect and because the ship is a vertical landing type. There is really no large scale group to draw from so it becomes a search for the next best group or the group more suited to flights where the rule is boredom. Fighter/test pilots are accustomed to flying routinely at the edge of the envelope. I would think a fighter pilot would be bored with a mars landing, especially if hes really more or less along for the ride unless something goes terribly wrong.<br /><br />Transport pilots (Cargo or passenger) are often heard to say "Flying is thousands of hours of boredom punctuated by seconds of sheer terror". This then leads to the question fighter or transport pilot? For handling the rather short duration but difficult task of landing a vertical landing craft and transport pilots seemed to be the best choice.<br /><br />Of course this could all change by the time an actual mars mission gets to the planning stage. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

True! The experiences of the heroic age of Antarctic exploration also come to mind - Shackelton, Scott, Amundsen, Mawson and the others.<br /><br />Mars bound astronauts will be in the lap of luxury by comparison. Controlled climate, good food, clean clothes, good communications, and a much better chance of making it back alive.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

Harrier/F-35 training would also be useful and perhaps for relevant.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Q

qso1

Definite good choices, in addition to helicopter training. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

J

j05h

<i>> Definite good choices, in addition to helicopter training.</i><br /><br />Bush pilots. You want bush pilots who have made thousands of helicopter landings in unprepared and rough sites. Aussie, Alaskan or Canadian wilderness pilots would be good places to start. <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

J

j05h

<i>> I read that every member of a submarine crew learns all the jobs on board, in case somebody becomes incapacitated on a long journey. At least this was true in WW2.</i><br /><br />IIRC, all submariners are trained firefighters. The cross-train skills as well, but it'd be next to impossible to be qualified both as a reactor mechanic and navigator (pick two specialties). <br /><br />Submarine living skills are important gauges of what is possible in space. One thing to note, though, is the difference in chain-of-command. Most proposed Mars flights are civil-government or private in nature, where-as a submarine has a military hierarchy. This could lead to much different crew dynamics. I'd assume the captain of any Mars flight will run a tight ship.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

J

JonClarke

Any Mars mission will have a crew of less than 10. you can't run military command structure, i.e. a tight ship on a crew that small, for that length of time. Nor would you want to. By definition the Mars crew will be highly self disciplined and highly motivated. There might be a nominal command structure for legal reasons, but the reality is that decision making and leadfership will be largely, if not entirely consensual.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts